1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I tried about 20 different bass guitars...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JLW, Jan 1, 2007.

1. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    So I went to Guitar center yesterday and tried a BUNCH of different basses.

Out of all the basses I tried, I was most impressed with one:

The MusicMan Stingray. OH MY GOD. The thing is absolutely orgasmic. It is totally uncomparable to any bass that I have found. The slap tone is absolute butter.

I just had to tell someone who cared.

Not that you guys didn't already know, but holy **** they are beautiful sounding pieces of equipment.

Absolutely blown away.

That growling low end slap tone is enough to make you melt.

2. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    I'm happy that you find your bass!
    Congratulations!
    It's a serious hard task!

3. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Yea. Now all I have to do is raise $1,200 that I don't have.

4. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    That's the bad part of the story!

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Get a used one here or elsewhere and you only have to raise 3/4 that amount. :smug:

6. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Always good to hear a MM story.:bassist:

7. Bill G.

Bill G.

Dec 2, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    Great story! :D

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Sterlings are better. :D

9. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    yes and once i get mine in four months i can join the Sterling club since i already have a Stingray (funkmachine)

edit: wait 1200??? im getting my Sterling for $1031 NEW!!!????

10. Id look into the newer dual humbucker (HH) models, the tonal variety is a great extra!!

11. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    OMG I did the EXACT same thing like 2 days ago! demo'd every single bass model GC had, and found the SAME THING with all the stingrays! They're amazing!

However, it looks like I have a little more competition in the used stingray market. *grumble*

12. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    the stingray is amazing. have you tried an HH? if you havent and are blown away by the single H then youre in store for a great surprise. they're rediculously great.

Sterlings are badass as well... i have 4 :)

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    This is true. :D

Graeme

14. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Prices have gone up for MusicMan products. ~$100 per instrument. But you can still find some at the older price.

15. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    yeah my dealer is still selling them at the old price?

I hate the HH model as well as the HS model. I find it incredible difficult to pop because the pickups are in the way and there is a small gap between the neck heel and the Single coil or Humbucker

16. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    I tried the Bongo, also, which has the double humbucker pickups.

I really didn't play around with the EQ or anything like that at all. There were like 6 knobs and I didn't even want to start trying to mess with them.

From what I could tell, I liked the single humbucker sound way better. But, like I said, I didn't mess around with the tone at all.

So far the Stingray wins.

Just need that 1 grand.

Not easy when you're 18 years old and not allowed to have a job because you have to work on your portfolio so you can get a scholarship for art school.

17. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Jesus! Your local guitar store has at least 20 different basses?! My local music store only has like 4 basses and they're all crap.

18. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Herrlster, this was at Guitar Center, which is like a half hour from my house.

There's easily 40 basses in there.

There's a local music store, which of course, I checked out first, but they had a much smaller selection and I really didn't like any of the basses in there.

19. I plan to change the pu's of any EBMM's I may... Scratch that, I WILL own in future the second I got the funds.

But then again, what do I know?

20. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I just knew this was going to contain musicman content before I even clicked and read the thread. Boy, I'm just a super cool psyhic. :)

And yes, they're super delicious instruments. I just got my new HH a few days ago, pics will follow at some point.