1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I tried Fender Elite jazz basses today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongostealth, Nov 30, 2017.

1. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Went into the 'ol Guitar Center to try two Fender Elite Jazz basses: a 4-string and a 5-string.

Bottom line: holy cow, I was NOT impressed at all. The playability, the feel, the sound, the craftsmanship... nothing about them struck me as meriting the retail price tag.

This is not meant to be a bash on Fender! But....

Is there something wrong with me, or have any of you had the same feelings?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. I'm not sure how I can respond w/o insulting current Elite owners, but I've heard one in a live setting & I just don't think they're worth nearly $2k.
    Granted, it could have been the amp/cab holding it back, but in comparison to a Mexican Blacktop through the same rig (& same player), I preferred the Blacktop.

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I agree and am very much over Fender for a multitude of reasons.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I tried the Elite P bass awhile back.
    Nothing wrong with it, just didn't wow me.

AlexanderB, Ikkir, Aqualung60 and 3 others like this.
  5. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm not saying it's a bad bass... it's just not a justifiable purchase at THAT price point, IMHO. Let's take the fingerboard for example, the ones which come with ebony don't look or feel any different than the run-of-the-mill rosewood! Ebony, to me at least, has a very distinguishable look and feel to it. It exudes class and quality. But not so with the "ebony" boards on these new Elites.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I "need" a Jazz bass, too.

Roger Ammons and bongostealth like this.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

IMHO.......No Fender is worth it's price tag.

CameronJohnson, rtav, Leftka and 25 others like this.
  8. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Here we go again, open thread...bash Fender.

9. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I absolutely love my American Standard jazz 5 built in 2011. I don’t think there is anyway they could top it for any price.

I’m not bashing the elites, I’m just saying Fender made the perfect bass in 2011 and I was the lucky guy that bought it.

10. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    I have a 66 P bass I bought in 66 and also had a 63 I knocked the frets out of. Both are / were great basses and wish I still had my 63. Started playing again and got a new Squire signature jazz bass. Fit and finish are just as good as the $600 standard Jazz for much less. I think the Milasia guys are building nice instruments.

11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Been play the Am Pro P and J at GC , smooth and comfort playing , but no "WoW" factor from it. They are just simple sound passive bass but overprice.
    I dont care MIM or MIA even China/Indonesia, the only value of money Fender bass for me is Classic and Roadworn series.

12. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    Don't forget the part where you say,
    " I'm not trying to bash Fender"
    Then bash Fender.

13. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I played a used Mike Lull j-bass, and it sounded and felt no differently than a typical Fender j-bass. Most j-basses sound like j-basses!

FWIW, most boutique j-basses aren’t worth the price tag either! Dudes become delusional and convince themselves that their non Fender j-basses are superior based on the brand on the headstock when they’re really not!

14. or how about the part where someone says their Squier is just as good as an Elite

15. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I can agree with this as I traveled 2 hours to try 2 different chain stores that carried these basses. I really wanted to like one but nothing about them made me want one. I didn't like the preamp or tone at all. They are good made basses but I just don't get it.

detoxxx, NigelD, AlexanderB and 3 others like this.
  16. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I think the N 4 PU's and the new preamp is finally catching up with the others. The B string sounds about as good as you'll find on a J bass 34 scale. Nice colours too.
    The fretwork and binding/blocks I've seen have been top notch.
    However, these so called RW/ebony FB's are awfully bad looking on the ones I've seen.
    I wish they were less money.

detoxxx and bongostealth like this.
  17. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The Elite P is an outstanding bass and well worth the price, IMO. I wasn't as sold on the J.

18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    For me , the Squier CV 60P neck is comfort than Am Pro's neck.

19. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    Caveat emptor.

20. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I love my mim jazz and that's all I need from fender! Now if they started using jabota and babinga necks and more exotic body woods I would be all over them!

Kinda why I switched my brand of preference to ibanez They just seem like way more bang for the buck, and waaaay more bang if you get em used