Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I tried my first fanned fret bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Oct 12, 2005.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Wonderful , I'm so glad I went with a fanned scale on my bass as well, for people that fear of venturing into this option, don't think, do it, adaptation was instantaneous, except for some chording in the upper register (fretting a minor 7th got a bit tricky but I got there), but people, go fanned, your hands already know the way! :D

this was the instrument btw, a brazilian custom snatched from the Bay, with the name "Roberto" written by hand on the body itself, below the finish, passive wired, some construction flaws, the upper body wing is cracking near the neck joint(!), small imperfections/dings in the finish and one of the truss rod screws is all mashed, someone really beat this poor guy :meh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (current owner shown, I do not have painted nails :oops: )
    [​IMG]

2. that thing looks incredible!

yeah i heard fanned frets arnt realy a problem if they are that little

3. sweet bass ! btw any news on your Conklin ? :hyper:

I'm sorry but i can't wait so see/hear that monster :D

4. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    this bass had great playability, I tried it along with a friend of mine that was interested in buying it, but the moment he saw the damage to the bass he backed out...in the sale add the owner wrote "needs setup", yep that and a great deal of reconstrutive surgery to the body :rolleyes: , it was a shame because apart of that, the instrument had a pretty neat fretwork and the neck was damn comfortable, I felt that the slanted frets do improve string feel.

Still waitings on news from my bass, Bill should write me to say its ready anyday now. :ninja:

5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    cool looking bass
    i'm curious about how you feel about chord fingerings
    in the upper register.
    i was very interested in the dingwalls, but upon trying one out at
    bass nw i was quite dissapointed in how uncomfortable it was(for me)
    to play in such a way.
    on the other side of the coin, i really liked playing in the low register,
    very comfortable.
    thoughts?
    d

6. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    well my impression was that you need to give it more of a twist to the hand whit some chord shapes way up, but we're talking way up the neck.

Imagine you fret a BM7 at the 20th fret of the E, that can maybe get tricky at first but you eventually get there, I mean, I spent 30 minutes with the instrument and after a bit my hand was already adjusting.

7. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
  8. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    its a very nice looking bass, but im baffled why you have painted your nails black :confused:

9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Why are you doing this to me? I've already been in contact with bass central about a dingwall, but I decided that it wasn't worth parting ways with my Joe Osborne. Now you go and make me start doubting myself again. :scowl:

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Cool, It kinda looks like Fred Bee hit the bottle kinda hard and then headed into the shop.

11. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

easy, keep the Osborne and get the Dingwall as well :D