1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I tried out some new EHX Nano/XO pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Oct 10, 2006.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I stopped by the local Starving Musician in Berkeley to try out their latest shipment of Electro-Harmonix pedals. Here's my reviews of what pedals they had in stock!

Among the bunch were:

Nano Bassballs

Sounds just like the original funky twin filter. After A/B'ing them, they seemed to be about the same. Why would you buy the old one after trying the new one? :D

Stereo Pulsar
    I didn't have the original to A/B this one with, but it's definitely quite the quirky pedal. I found a few odd tremolo settings that I liked, but nothing practical for my use. Overall, a definite recommendation for those into experimental music (it has a lot of weird options, including square-wave tremolo, and variable wave adjustments). Seems to work fine on bass frequencies, too.

Micro Q-Tron
    I didn't have the original to A/B this one with, but it's exactly what I hoped it to be - funky, smooth, and full of bassy goodness! The Low-pass and Band-pass filters seem to kill the low end, though. As for the High-pass, it works perfectly fine. Maybe it was just the amp I used? Otherwise, great pedal for funk. I might add one to my board one of these days for fun. The High-pass mode also seems to boost the low end.

Nano Small Stone
    I used to own the original, and this one's a definite improvement. Slightly different tone than the original, but much better on bass! They corrected the "volume drop" issue, and now you can hear it work in its full glory. I think the tonal difference that I seem to be hearing is actually due to that correction.

I took this one home, but I think I'm going to return it... I've realized that as awesome as this phase shifter is, I'm more of a "full and lush chorus" kind of guy, and not so much a "lush swoosh" fan. And what will I return it for? Nothing yet. But... I just found this announcement on the EHX MySpace:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...&MyToken=c7fed5c3-a6e1-40ca-b98b-7a9b4f5d1ff3

The Stereo Clone Theory is finally shipping, and powerful chorus sounds will soon be MINE! :D

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    ???
    Just curious if you've had a chance to check that out any further? One of the things I like about the big ol' QTron is the insane low end it can put out.

Otherwise, sounds like a cool safari! I hope to hear more. Is the Nano Muff out yet, and if so has anyone had a chance to A/B it with any other Muffs?

3. Sweet little review.

What's the difference between a Q-tron and a Bassballs?
    They're both filters, right?

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yeah, but the BassBalls has twin filters that have slightly different voicings giving a more "vocal-like" sound, where as the Q-Tron is just your classic Low/Band/Hi Pass filter.

5. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The Nano Muff IS out, but the shop didn't have it. It seems to already be on eBay, though.

In previous discussions with tplyons, it seems like it'll probably be very much like one half of the Double Muff (which is basically two original Muff Fuzz circuits in series).

As for the Micro Q-Tron... on "High Pass", it put out a heck of a lot of low end. I'm pretty sure it was more than normal. :D

I just don't understand why the other modes ate up the bass frequencies. :meh:

6. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Part of the reason for the name of the Bassballs pedal is due to the fact that it can, indeed, sound like a very strange bouncing ball under certain settings.

Cool effect, though :D

If you go to www.ehx.com, you'll find soundclips of the original Bassballs and Mini Q-Tron in action. They're not the pedals I looked at above, though - they're the original versions. However, they should be about the same in sound, since the controls haven't changed, and the Bassballs seemed about the same as the old one to my ears.

EDIT: I just edited my OP. I've realized there isn't too much more to say, really, but I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability.

7. So how's the Nano Muff compared to a Big Muff or Little Big Muff? More or less fuzz? The same?

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Quoting myself here:

The original Muff Fuzz isn't dramatic by today's standards - fairly light, actually. If the Nano Muff Overdrive is based on that original Muff, as I've heard, then it's going to be more like a mild overdrive than anything else.

Setting a Double Muff on "single" mode will give you a decent preview of the Nano Muff, I think.

9. Ah ok thanks. So it's like the pedal says: 'overdrive'. :)

10. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I don't think it's going to be your traditional OD though - that's why I'm itching to try one if a local shop decides to order a batch.

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool. I'm extremely interested in these pedals, since I've been looking at building up a pedalboard. I guess I'll ask my local shop if they can order some.

12. Well, you'll keep us posted 'bout your experiences, won't you? ;)

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Maybe :ninja:

14. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    More good news! The OTHER new EHX chorus pedal, the Nano Clone, is already out, too! There are a few in-stock on eBay, and probably some online shops, too. I haven't seen any in-stock at any local shops yet, but there's one store I haven't stopped by yet... maybe they've got it?

I'm tempted to get it, but I'm pretty sure the Clone Theory will blow it out of the water when it comes in.

Then again, a really tiny Electro-Harmonix chorus pedal for just $43.00 is a difficult offer to resist :meh:

One thing that does have me curious, though, is the fact that it has only ONE control (a Rate knob) instead of the original two on the Small Clone (Depth switch and Rate knob). I wonder if the Rate knob adds depth as it is turned up, or if the chorus depth is fixed?

As soon as I find one, I'll know :D

15. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    so kinda like a dod 250 mild overdrive? i'll be watching out for this one...

16. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Nice little review. I'm interested in the nano small stone since the volume drop has been corrected.

17. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    hey bongo,
    i had it at home already (the micro q-tron, that is), and the labels for hp and lp are reversed, so in hp you actually get lp and vice versa.
    i found it pretty funny that a mistake like that can pass quality control (not that it diminishes the sound or usefulness in any way, but did they have no beta testers ?)

cheers,
    lowstar

18. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hilarious!

19. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Sounds like they didn't have BASS beta testers!

At least the oddness of the filter behavior makes sense. No wonder it sounded so bassy on the high-pass setting...

20. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    has anyone been able to a/b a micro Q tron with one of the ashdown filters?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021