1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I tried the Orange AD200B and I was kind of disappointed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iconoclast, Aug 4, 2007.

1. iconoclast

iconoclast

Sep 13, 2005
    Hey all.

I've been looking at the Orange AD200B and the SVT-VR as of late to replace my Ashdown ABM 500 (which I was disappointed with because the PCB cracked in 3 places. Mainly because of a design flaw (the jacks are mounted ON the PCB with NO reinforcement.)

So I tried the Orange expecting that it would be similar in tone quality to their guitar amps. I was kind of disappointed. I overdrove the preamp pretty hard and found that it sounded just like my over driven Ashdown - just with a less responsive EQ. (Keep in mind I play dirty blues rock so I'm not interested in any clean sounds)

Went next door to the other music store and tried the SVT-VR. This thing cranks. I jumpered the two channels and dialed up a nice amound of dirt at about half volume. Mmmm. It sounded amazing.

So the SVT-VR wins this round. Now the question is what cab? I'm thinking of the DB410. I really don't want to lug around an 8x10 but I still want that midrange bite. Any suggestions?

2. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    A lot of players who like the closed cab 10's rave about the Bergantino NV610. Many comments about how easy it is to transport and handle too. search the topic and see what they say.;)

3. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    Los Angeles
    For how much an Orange costs, I'm glad you test drove it out hard! haha, the only way I'd pay that much for the orange's cost would be the end to end all amps. Thier guitar stuff is amazing, the guy from the Mars Volta get some sick-*** tone, but thats for guitar :D

And I swear to god, this board is going to talk me into buying that Berg cab sooner or later...my revelation recently was how my Boogie 2x10 sounds shimmering compared to my Ampeg speakers. So I guess it all depends on hi-fi v. vintange in your tastes. As of now, I highly recommend the Boogie speakers, they kick you in the face with no remorse! (See live, Justin Chancellor...hehe)

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If I were to go back to an SVT it would be with a sealed 4x10. I'd probably use Don at LDS as he / they seem pretty comfortable with custom building to spec.

I saw Conrad Lozano from Los Lobos that winter and he was using a Golly 4x10 (I assume it was a ) rental under his SVT head. Didn't seem to bother him .. nothing really does though. He just plays and smiles and whatever else might be goin' on - the groove continues. A master at work ...

5. Yeah .....I'll 2nd the go 4 BErgantino-The NV610 is an AMPEG 810 killer IMHO...deeper, more articulate ...all the while handling overdrive/fuzz beautifully! I often use a Green Big Muff with mine & sounds awesome!!!!!!!! Easy to move too.

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    +2 on the NV610. Not hi-fi at all but just more of what the fridge does, and done better.

7. iconoclast

iconoclast

Sep 13, 2005
    Thanks for the tip on LDS. I have an email in to them to get a quote.

Good ideas guys, keep em coming.

I like the idea of the berg but danggg is it ugly.

8. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    without a doubt the 610.

without a doubt the 610.

i just got mine a couple months ago to pair with my mesa 400 non plus. this cab SMOKES when paired with a tube amp. seriously.

without a doubt the 610.

the lug factor is not bad, either.

without a doubt the 610.

9. I would kill to have a matching berg for my VR... But yeah, they are kind of ugly, and veeery expensive. But I really want to try one out, the fridge it's just not doing it for my back. But it really sounds wicked... Just one thing, if you don't have a car, don't ever buy a fridge.

:D

10. iconoclast

iconoclast

Sep 13, 2005
    Yeah for an 1100 dollar cab I expect better covering than carpet. It looks like my old Ashdown MAG cab.

Maybe LDS can build me an NV610 sound alike in a nicer covering. Or I could re cover it.

11. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    The new NV610 comes in tolex

12. iconoclast

iconoclast

Sep 13, 2005
    anywhere I can see pictures?

13. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    As said earlier...it is covered in tolex now AND it is very easy to make a vintage speaker grill for it. Then what you have is just a different logo . There's pictures somewhere here from someone who did just that.

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Actually, the Berg is only $100 more brand new than the fridge in the US. And its resale value is a heck of a lot higher. One day, I'll get one.

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  16. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    I made a new frame with new cloth for my Bergie cab. Mine is an NV425, but the NV610 is the same size, I believe.

cloth010.

17. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Is there a link to how you exactly did that grill cloth mod? I want to make one for my NV215 to match my V4 (and to match a 70's SVT in the future!)

18. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    No link, man. I just bought some different sizes of wood, screws, drill bits, and cloth. I did "some" trial and error first, then just went ahead with my measurements. It was really pretty easy! Just get the frame made, and before you put on the cloth, make sure it fits, leave a little room for the cloth on all sides, then start stapling. I used staples, but I guess you don't have to. I made some bits that go between speakers and connect to the main frame so the whole thing does not get kicked in or pushed or something. On mine, there is a piece of metal mesh, also, sandwiched between the frames.

You can email or PM me if you want more details. I don't want to hijack this thread, sorry!

19. That it is actually awesome!

The problem with the Berg costing more than the fridge for me is that I live in México... LOL, that makes buying good gear actually very hard.

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Eh? Compared to what? Personal opinion on looks will vary, but the NV610 is about the same price as the Ampeg SVT-810E, and it kills it in every regard (tone, portability, and yes, looks :D), IMHO.

Tom.