Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so i tuned my 5'er GCGCF...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vic_6, Jul 5, 2005.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    (im not sure but this seems to be the rightt forum for this..)

so i tuned my 5'er GCGCF and it's weird now. cuz the first day, it was all buzzy. that was last saturday. now it's tuesday (im in asia). and when i used it yesterday it seemed to have gotten better. not as much buzz. just on the last 2-4 frets (by the nut).

i know that it's an obvious thing (cuz i tuned it so low) that i should pretty much raise the action.

what i was wondering was, do i have to move the truss rod? i thought about it, and well, im not too sure. what kind of effect did the loss of tension have?

and what other advice can you give with this kind of tuning?

sorry for the long post. oh and this is my first post in thiss forum. :)

thanks!
    vic

2. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    That is, of course, if you plan on keeping it in that tuning, although it seems kinda...interesting.

3. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Try fatter strings, especially for the low G and C. You can use a standard B string for the C - that's what I do for CGDA tuning. For the G string see if you can get one of those ultra-fat low F# strings that guys with 8+string basses use. That would give you more reasonable tension.

4. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    joshua: yeah, i was pretty stupid for not checkin the relief first.

thebassbetween: yeah, i plan to keep the tuning. or at least something similar to that. i'll play around with it first and see if i wanna keep it that way. thanks, i forgot to consider that.

pklima: you're right, thicker strings would be a big help.
    thing is, over here in my country, it's pretty hard to find larger gauged strings. what gauge would you suggest i keep a look out for?

just so everyone knows, my low G is .130 and the rest are standard mediums. starting from .105. (they're d'addarios) thanks again guys!

vic

PS: just so you guys know, the only "good" strings that are available here are d'addario, Ernie Ball and GHS. those are the best ones already and well, we dont even have all the kinds here and ernie ball is the only one that sells in singles.

5. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Ryan Martinie used .135 for the G

6. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    oh yeah? would you know what gauges he uses for the other strings?

7. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    vic-- I suggest using Mr. Google to help find the exact strings you want. Shopping for strings around my area is awful too, but Musician's Friend has the strings I want.

8. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    yeah. did that. :) thanks man!

9. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    It's probably a little bit of everything. I tune to CGCF on my 4 string and I went from 105 - 45's to 115-55's (GHS) and it made a big difference, but still some buzzing on the first fret, then I gave the truss rod a quarter turn because it needed it. Then after playing with the intonation and setting the string lengths a little longer, I changed the bridge saddles around some.

If you're not comfortable doing all that (and just because I did it doesn't mean you would need to) then maybe see if there are some guitar techs over there that could do a set up for you? If not do a lot of research and asking questions here before you attempt any of your own tech work. Not only for fear of permanent damage but you could make the problem worse if you have no experience.

10. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    oh. i dont mind doing all that. the only thing i really havent touched is the truss rod. that's the only thing i've been scared of touching. but i gotta do it sooner or later. i dont wanna rely on a tech just for that snce i can do most of the other stuff on my own.

now my only problem is finding a place where i can get those heavy gauged strings over here...

thanks everyone!