1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I turned the gain up a little bit too high...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by (b)Assman, Mar 27, 2009.

1. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
  2. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Is the speaker blown for sure.

Its not that I dont doubt you but I had a dust cap com half unglued before and it made a terrible sound. I thought it was blown too.

If it is infact blown your best bet would be to pull the speaker and look for any identifying mark on it (Printed number or what have you). Some gurus on here can tell sometimes by just seeing a few pictures of the speaker

3. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    I'm no guru on blown speakers, and this is the first time I've had a speaker do something funky on me. It makes horrible crackling, I'm about to dissect this and take a better look, although my knowledge of speakers is limited.

edit

it doesn't sound like something is loose and rattling it sounds really horrible.

4. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Mine is too man. No worries. As long as you dont put a screw driver through the cone while taking it out your in the clear. (Experience and a somewhat exspensive lesson I learned)

5. You can't just stick a random speaker in and expect it to sound good. Given that LOUD seems to be in the toilet it might be hard to find an OEM speaker but that should be your first path. If you have to switch to another brand you should replace all 4 speakers, and you will have to find drivers whose specs come close to the volume and porting of the Ampeg box. Perhaps someone on the forum knows a good source for replacement speakers.

Replacement is usually pretty easy. Just unscrew the screws and lif the speaker out. If the speaker has push-on connectors you are lucky, otherwise you might have to unsolder the wires. Make note of the + and - connections. Usually Black is - and White is +.

You can try pushing very gently on the center of the cone to see if it moves freely. If it binds or you hear rubbing sounds you have probably damaged the voice coil.

Rick B.

6. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    take it out and type some identifying number from the back into google. I replace lots of parts for various things this way

7. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    Why would it be so bad to stick a quality different brand speaker in there?
    edit:especially one that is marketed as a replacement for ampegs.

8. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    I think he meant going along the lines of just buying any speaker the same size as the current and putting it in there. I would think one marketed as a replacement would work fine. Its a replacement.

9. As long as the impedance of the replacement driver is the same as the original you won't harm anything, but the cab may (most likely) sound different. Maybe that will be a good thing, maybe not, no way to tell, but it would suck to spend $75 for a speaker only to find out that you don't like the way the cab sounds with it installed.

Rick B.

10. That is exactly what I meant. A replacement speaker should work fine and sound like the original.

Rick B.

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Bring it to a speaker store.. they can rebuild it for about the same price of a guess.

It is nice to have all the drivers balanced.

12. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    Ya makes sense. I imagine a good similar speaker replaced in a 410 wouldn't make a huge difference, and probably couldn't sound worse if it was good.

edit

Pulled it out, it's made by eminence so obviously another eminence is a good idea lol. Why does my cabinet have to be so wide??? It's got a lot of room behind the speakers and it's annoying trying to fit it in my car. Does it help with the porting if it's really deep???

13. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    The airspace inside of the cab is what allows the speakers to work at the best. Speakers are made to work within certain airspace requirements and the cab is built around that.

Was there any numbers on the speaker?

14. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    A ton of different numbers, not sure which is an identifier.

15. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    type the all and lets see what we can find out

A locataion of where on the speaker you found them may help too

16. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    [​IMG]

Have fun :p

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're probably not going to be able to get that particular speaker anymore, at least not through Ampeg. It's an older model, and Ampeg doesn't use that speaker anymore. Someone on here about a year ago said he ordered a replacement for his 90's HLF and it doesn't look the same or sound the same at all. Said it looked cheap compared to the old one, which I can easily believe.

It was most definitely made by Eminence, so you might want to pop them an email and ask if they have a similar model, or you can have it reconed.

18. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    10991a is the model number

The only US dealer I could find sells the for 250 a pair which is STEEP

http://www.jamminjersey.com/speakers.php?prod=emilar

I would call AMPEG at 1-800-898-3211 and explain your situation and tell them that you want a replacement. More than likely they will gladly sell you one and it will probably be cheaper buying it direct.

Also feel free to search around some more. My skills in locating that driver may be more limited than yours

edit: Reconing is also an option if you know a good shop to send it off to or give it to locally if all else fails. I myself don't know anything about that so i cant help you there. And emailing or calling Eminence was also another good suggestion by Jimmy

19. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    If it's rated at 300 watts I can't believe I blew it, my amp is 750 watts max and it wasn't even past 12 I don't think.

Thanks for the info guys. Cheers.

20. The setting of the volume knob has almost nothing to do with total output of the amp.

"Half-way up" does not equal half power.

Depending on your EQ settings, "noon" could very well be full output.