Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I used a Hiwatt Custom 100 the other night...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tecx, May 7, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    As stated in the title of the thread, I used my friends 1969 Hiwatt Custom Lead 100 for a gig the other night... It was going through a peavey 2x10 cab, and all I have to say is WOW!.. Now I know why Peter Hook used one for so long, I almost nailed his tone!.. But for a guitar head it sure had a lot of low end response... I almost blew the speakers right across the stage a few times... I have to say it was the best tibe head I have ever played, even better than the SVTs I have played in my opinion...

Alex

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    HiWatt made killer amps - pretty hard to argue with Entwistle's tone on Live At Leeds and I heard John Wetton playing through one with King Crimson that also kicked major ass....

3. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The only problem is now that I need to buy one!... And the prices on evilbay are, well EVIL...

Alex

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ah yes, THE quintessential Who album... Its been quite some time since I've listened to it... Thx Ox... good times, good times...

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Alex....have a go with the new Yorkville 200 watt head before committing to Hiwatt. Not to diminish how good they are, but part of the reason it may have sounded so good could be it being a 100 watt tube head that was pushed a little harder than a 300 watt SVT, coupled with the brand and type of tubes in that head. There might be a cheaper way to get close to that tone.

Just a thought.

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I prefer vintage tube amps, both for estecics and sound... I have owned a few old traynors, and loved them... But I have never been able to find one of the 100w or the elusive 200w bass mates... I really hate the way the new YBA looks, I think it is incredibly ugly... But again, I have yet to hear it...

Alex

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hiwatts are much cleaner than Traynors or SVTs though warm!

8. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    true that!!.. I could not beleave how loud it could get before breaking up!..

Alex