so i walk into a guitar shop last saturday.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by calebplaysbass, Jan 26, 2006.

1. So last saturday me and my brother were thinking of something we could do and, us both being music geeks, we decided to go look at a guitar shop we had been interested in but never seemed to drop by when it was open. I had just begun saving up for a nice bass before i went to college and therefore greatly in debt and had about 250 stashed away. I walk in and begin looking at their stellar selection of vintage guitars. At first my eye only caught on some vintage basses i knew were nice but i would never buy or couldn't afford(67 Gibson EB-0, 62 Fender P, etc). So after being mildly disappointed i stumble upon something i had missed the first time around. I then found myself doing figures in my head on how i could acquire this beatiful piece of art: a 1978 Rickenbacker 4001. White finish with black binding. Well they closed 10 minutes later so the next day at noon i found myself in there dropping all 250 i had saved up to put this beast on layaway. I now have 27 days left to pay about 950. i got payed yesterday and that was 400. it's looking do able so i can't wait til i can go in there and drop the rest...that'll be a glorious day.

Thoughts anyone? did i get taken or a great deal or anything else you wanna say
  2. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Hmmmm... '78 4001 you say? :eyebrow:

Well, my eager, young whippersnapper... I was 25 back in '78, and I was slappin' and pullin' my '74 4001 back then, when big hair, polyester and platform shoes... not to mention white shoes and belts... were happening, baby!

I loved that bass back then, but I ended up selling it in '83... :crying: :crying: :bawl: I wish I had it now...

Okay... 'nuff of Memory Lane... let's try and help you out. If the one you put on layaway is in good+ shape, or better... you did fine, son. Rics have a tone of their own... bright, yet full, and you can get some pretty deep bottom out of one, too. For me, I had to remove the bridge-side pick-up guard thing... just didn't like it. I just remember that my Ric... it was the 'natural' finish... was fast and easy to play. It was the 'stereo' version, and I once had a gig where our backline was provided. The soundman guy at that show... 1981 Journey Tour, Honolulu... we were the warm-up band... noticed I had the stereo 4001 Ric, so he wired-up my axe in stereo... gave me two monitors, too... Crap! I just took a detour back on Memory Lane... You should be very happy with your Ric-in-waiting... :bassist:
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sounds like a (very) good deal to me if the condition is good - you know, fully working, well set up or easily put right, cosmetically okay apart from the normal sort of things that you're almost sure to get on a bass of that age (minor dings, some shallow scratches on the back and so on, nothing too serious).

I assume you've played it and the sound and feel are to your liking otherwise you woudn't have dropped the deposit. I'm jealous! I'm a big Ric fan anyway (far from being "one-trick ponies", I think they're versatile and can fit any style you like if the bass suits you) and the white ones do look gorgeous. Shame they didn't do many of these, but that makes your bass a bit more special.

Be sure to post pics when you get it, I'm sure you'll love it. And if you don't for whatever reason, let me know before anyone else! :D

4. yeah it is in good condition. minor dings and such. i didn't get to get TOO familiar with everything but i love the feel and sound. The previous owner had removed the bridge pickup cover so i'll probably get one of those and he also installed a Seymour Duncan pup in the neck position. I love the sound of the duncan but seeing how i have not had the chance to extensively play the stock neck pup i can't say which i like better...
  5. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    If it was in good shape it sounds like great deal to me.