1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I wanna get a tube amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PunkRocker33133, Feb 24, 2008.

1. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    As the title says I wanna get a tube amp this summer when I can save up enough money and my band should be gigging by then. I play punk, classic metal, and classic rock. I've tried the Ampeg-CL and I loved it but I don't think I'll be able to get that kind of money. I also tried the Mesa Bass 400+ and loved that too. So which of those two do you prefer, and any other recommendations, and cab choices? (btw I tried the CL with an Ampeg fridge and the Mesa with the 410+115 cab that Mesa makes.)

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  3. If U liked BOTH those amps - IMO/IME you R just gonna LOVE a tube amp sound! They sound different, feel different...etc... plenty of threads & info on THAT can of worms. ;-) I've NOT played the 400+ so I can't comment on 'em apart from AFAIK they don't come cheap...& I've seen a fair few SVT-CL's around 2nd hand for reasonable prices. See recent thread re the SVT(Skunkworks model) & 810 cab for $350!! sure THAT"S a rare price but they are out there. Also consider a V4,V4B, V4BH Ampeg if U don't need MEgavolumes! I got one(V4BH) that I use for ALL gigs where I have FOH PA support! IMO the V4BH's 100w (all tube) is about a loud as a B2R to B2RE (350-450w solid state Ampegs)..... whats the saying...once U go tube, you don't go back????????? ;-)

AND as Anderbass says..... an NV Bergantino cab (610-is what I & Anderbass have) sounds superb with both V4's & SVT's.... IIRC He has a 400+ also...so he'd know rethe NV cabs & those.

4. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    OK thank you both and Rodl, where would I find a V4 and I won't be playing anything bigger than 1-200 people audiences anytime soon maybe 3-400 and my band has a PA if the club can't provide.

5. Do as Anderbass(& many others) did Look in Craiglist.com & keep an eye on ebay. Do BOTH & KEEP doing it. They DO come up. I'm in Australia so can't help U much, but Anderbass is in USA & he got his V4 off craiglist.com IIRC. Ampeg made V4's early on as Gtr amps, but they work GREAT as Bass amps. Then they put out V4B for bass & finally the V4BH-which was discontinued last year(IIRC). I bought a V4BH NEW in Aust. & as Aus is a smaller population etc.. it was a 2005 model. If I had to do it again tho, I'd probly buy 2nd hand from one of the 2 places I mention above!
    Ahhh Anderbass 's given U some links. Just be aware the V4/B/BH is/are great amps-sweet tube sound that sounds perfect when playing in a band. Might not sound a snappy etc as a s.s. amp by itself, but (all this IMO) in a band setting- just "MOULDS" the rythym section together beautifully. It Does sound/respond best with a fair bit of speaker cone are-like a NV610, 4x10, 2x15" etc. can be left a bit 'wanting' with a small cab like a 1x12" etc.

6. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I heard a cat in Austin playing a 100 watt Hiwatt into a Trace elliot 4x10 that was AMAZING. Much louder than I expected and very sweet. Don't rule out guitar amp heads.

7. PunkRocker33133

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    OK, because I'm looking for a sound that will fill out a band nicely and weight doesn't bother me, so long as the amp sounds good but cabs I would love to be on the lighter side. Also would it be good to go with the rackmountable tube amps or does those not capture the classic Ampeg tone? And if you read the original post the money may take a while but I hope to be able to purchase this by the end of the summer this year, as that's when my band should start being acle to gig heavily/larger places.

8. Used ampeg, mesa, traynor

9. +1 the YBA-200-Yorkville - is s'posed to be good at a cheaper price. worth a look see.

10. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Yeah you can find Traynor YBA-200 (Formerly Yorkville) for $700--that's as cheap as you'll find an all tube bass head. Pair it with a Traynor/Yorkville XC808 8x8 cab. Edit: Sorry the XC808 does NOT weigh 50 lbs. It was 113 lbs. / 50 kg.

11. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    IMHO you shouldn't worry about rackmountable or not. Firstly get the one that sounds best to you, than see if its mountable or not.

12. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    If you can't afford the CL, you certainly will have problems financing the 400+...

13. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    You might also consider a Music Man HD130 or Hd150. Both can be found at pretty reasonable prices. Another one would be a Sunn. I run a HD 130 with 2 2-12 cabs and haven't found a venue it can't handle.

14. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
  15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I picked up MM 130HD for $250 a couple of weeks ago (albeit its currently in the shop). Its my understanding that the MM is a hybrid - tube power/solid state preamp b

Rumble what cab are you using?

Another thumbs up for the Ampeg V4b.

16. If your already saving then dont stop 3/4 there - just keep going till you can afford what you want or atleast something thats close - I play an SVT-II (all tube non pro) and love it. I have ampeg 6x10hlf which is great but also reccomend Berg's - they are great!
    Good Luck:)

17. I have the Traynor YBA200 and I match it up with an Ampeg 610HLF. It's a killer rig, and you could probably pick it up at under $1500 for the whole kit.

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
  19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    i picked up an HD130R a while back from a guy on craigslist for $50 because he thought it was broken. turned out the fuse was loose.

huge +1 to the V4 recommendation. search ebay for those, can be had for decent money, definitely less than 750.