So, I want a Wal.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gazman_res, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Yup, I do.

a.) I doubt i could wait that long for the build time.
    b.) I doubt i could ever find one used.
    c.) I KNOW i cant afford one.

Simply put, anything even come close?

Bongo, Warwick $$, G&L?
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I had an opportunity to pick up a Wal 5 string in Melbourne for $2200Aus. It was at Music Boutique and it had a Walnut Core with Shedua facings. It was a great bass and had tone for days but it had to be one of the heaviest basses I've ever played.

In hindsight I regret not buying it because that price was unbelievable, but I got my custom 6 instead (which is still five times the bass the Wal was). Point of the story - there is at least one Wal in Australia that I know of and it was kinda affordable.
  3. Mark, How long ago was that? Also.. if you dont mind. Ive always seen pics of your bass.. but whats the deal, there a website, specs or something i can drool over, coz really it is stunning.. How much also (you can PM you want)
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That would have been in 1999 or 2000, I can't remember exactly, but I was tossing up between that Wal, a Thumb 5 string NT w/Ken Smith soapbars and a couple of other basses.

With regard to the custom, there is no website or other place to view them, I assume the lutheir still makes them because you can get them at Music Junction in Blackburn in Victoria. I don't know what they cost know, but you would be looking at upwards of $5k Aus for a 5 string. The electronics were Alembic Signature series so they cost a packet in themselves.
  5. Thanks Mark, Its outside business hours now, but I'll have a look at these tomorow!
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    :eyebrow::eek::eek::eek: :bawl: :bawl: :crying:
  7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    New York Guitar & Bass Boutique has a red Wal fs. I had a natural walnut Wal for a while, which had a great MM-style growl, but I just couldn't get over the weight issue of that bass.
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The link does not work... shouldn't that be Boutique?

EDIT: sorry, it was just my browser.
  9. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man

I had the opportunity to compare these basses for a few months, thanks to the lovely hippiesandwich. I think he would agree, being a Bongo owner hissownseff, that dollar for dollar, the Bongo compares favorably with the Wal. Clearly the Wal is more of an investment, and in some ways you do get what you pay for.

But if you're looking for that sort of aggressive tone without spending the money on a Wal, you should at least test drive a Bongo.
  10. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Actually, I think you clicked right before I edited in that "u".
  11. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Closest things I've found to a Wal, sound wise:
    1. anything with a lane poor MM pickup, particularly the ones made for Modulus
    2. Ken Smith BSR4M basses. These are the bolt-0n's with the soapbar pickups.

On a different not --and I will be posting a new thread-- I'm looking for insight into ordering a Wal. I've tried contacting Pete Stevens without much luck and I'm wondering if this is par for the course and how to deal with it.
  12. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Funny you should say that Bovinehost - I always did think my Stingray 5 produced excellent WAL-ish tones when coaxed a little. :meh: But then, I am biased. Maybe I wasn't imagining after all. I've never had the pleasure of playing a Wal :( I know that I am always grinning when playing along with a Tool song with the Stingray. :D Of course with the extra tonal options of the Bongos, I imagine you could get even more close to the tone.
  13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Bass central in Florida has more Wals than anywhere i've seen actually and the guys there a super nice!! Whatever Wal you want, Believe me, they can get it.
  14. It is certain that Wal basses have become harder to find. Used ones are selling at higher prices than last year and most of these are across the pond, so there is duty and shipping to consider. Unless the situation has changed recently Pete is taking no new orders until he's caught up on the backlog. It may be a while. Also, when I last checked BC had none in stock and weren't taking orders currently although it is certain that they are nice folks to deal with.

Best advice? Either wait patiently for a used one or take a look at an alternative like the Bongo as suggested earlier. In either case, good luck and good hunting.
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Have you ever played one? How do you know you'd like it?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What is their Build time?
  17. Nope, not once. But I REALLY like that Wal tone. But the idea of this thread is the fact that I am may never get a chance to play one or even own one.

However as listed above, i was looking for other basses with similiar aspects. And if they are available i can check them out myself. ie Bongo, G&L, warwicks, etc.
  18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Unfortunately, its years. I was lucky enough to pick up a 4-string "Geddy Lee" this year for US$1700. You won't see many at this price, but mine was a bit beaten up. As for comparisons, there are other basses that growl, but a Wal is a Wal. If you like the Wal tone, it is unlikely that you will find another bass that sounds like a Wal. Those other basses are fine basses and may make you happy, but they aren't Wals.

As for weight, that is a personal preference thing. My Wal is no heavier than the '78 P bass that I sold to pay for the Wal.

All in all, I wouldn't trade my Wal for anything. I currently own 5 basses (well really 4 since one is just used to noodle with when I travel). Each one of my basses satisfies a nitch. I can think of no other bass that would fill the Wal's shoes.
  19. If you get a comparable bass that is bolt on, get some neck inserts to make the bass a true bolt on like wal basses. Hambone has them for sale in the commercial for sale forum.
  20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

The trademark Wal sound is not about it being bolt-on - it's more about the unique electronics they have (and also that mahogany core).
    Let's say, over 75% of basses are bolt-on - yet that doesn't make them sound like Wals, for sure