1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I want grindy gut wrenching lows...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Gress, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Fixed.

2. theavondon

theavondon

May 11, 2009
    Town
    True. But, he was just mentioning cabs. And, almost all of those bands (except for Kyuss) have played out of Emperors from time to time.

3. Oh i was pretty sure between them they have also played out of cabs made by the afformentioned brands.

But i was just being snobby/snarky/witty. :bag:

I hear a lot of gripes about Emperor over weight though... I dunno if the OP does serious touring...

Meh whatever... they sound amazing... bulk up and get an/some Emperor cab/s :D

4. theavondon

theavondon

May 11, 2009
    Town
    This=the right attitude for good doom.

5. Yeah I've been "underpowering" my 412 for years with first a 300 watt now a 500 watt, I should step back down to a 300 watt tube so I can really "underpower again". ;)

6. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I would love to get me an Emperor cabinet built. Problem is, I have no money. :D

Plus the idea of building my own cab just appeals to me more than having one built right now. Kinda want to do the hands on and enjoy my labor idea.

7. I can empathize completely.

8. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like you're going for that Jesus Lizard, Shellac grindy tone. It always looked like David Wm. Sims and Bob Weston had home made cabs . Maybe look into them.

9. jimmyjames77

jimmyjames77 Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Just West of Chicago
    All of these guys have pretty different tones to my ear. I'd say what they have in common is dropping some 300hz out and boosting the 80hz a little. Add compression too.
    That'll get you close. Plus it seems you like OD so throw some of that in there. You can get very close to these examples on a budget. As long as you are miced well it'll come across well to the audience.

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    With a Vt bass I'd probably roll with a pair of 15's with kappalite 15s in them, using the Tl606 type model. No one has really liked it with the fEarful much from what I'm hearing.

11. 18+15+2x12! :D

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    How do you tell off a Youtube video what gut wrenching lows are?
    It's not even high quality digital audio.
    What are you listening with? Whatever you're listening with is it wrenching your guts?
    If so, mimic what you got but only on a larger scale.

BFM is right - just add more of the same type of speakers. Or add a sub, amplifier, and crossover to handle the lows, and keep your current cab for mids.

13. subopposite

subopposite

Jul 23, 2008
    Vermont
    Yes, I too would love to underpower with a 300 watt tube amp head. A totally different kind of "underpowering" compared to solid state as far as the ears and plain observation goes without getting into one of these lame same watts debates.

14. Then don't ask for one? I have owned and giged SVT's, 2000s's and V4-B's. :)

15. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Saw Al 6 different time with OM and Shrinbuilder.

4 different rigs.

The best he ever sounded was with OM playing biamped into an SVT an unknown tube Slave through Emperor 15" cabs. All most likely rented.

Second best was his own Green Amp, Slave and 15" loaded Cabs.

You want to build that already wisely suggested Eminince 3015 loaded 2x15" TL cab.

I've seen Al with the 8X10"'s......still sounds great....but I don't care about one cabs "stats" against another. For some things, 15"'s are the way to go.

16. Halvorsen

Halvorsen

Mar 7, 2008
    Vermont
    I haven't heard this yet. Can you elaborate on why people aren't fond of this combonation?

I was thinking of going the Vt bass/ Fearful route too. :meh:

17. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hmm yeah, what is the consensus with earful cabs and gobs of distortion/fuzz/overdrive?

18. Wasn't that designed for 3015LF, the 3015 is different than the (3015) LF.

19. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't play much stoner/doom, though I do love some Sleep bass tone and Seer, but I was at this stage of what cab to get for a while too. I'm going the build your own route myself, which is pretty cool. Going to have myself a brand-spanking-new Sunn 2000s cab. Me and my old man are probably going to do final assembly this weekend, should be good (I'll post some pictures up at some point). But yeah, my personal vote goes to either 2x15s or maybe a 4x12. And if you want a tube amp on the cheap that can give you some of those grindy tones, maybe look into an Ampeg V-4

20. I would check out sunn beta bass heads. they get that aggressive midrange overdrive very well. I believe I have seen quite a few of the doomier bands use them. Like the Melvins.
    The easy expensive answer is to get an SVT and a tubescreamer or a Mesa bass 400/400+.
    If we are just talking cabs the old faithful are 2x15 cabs or 8x10 cabs. They both are known to put out prodigous low end and deliver midrange grind as well.
    when I used to run GK 800RB and 400RB heads I always used a turbo rat. They do cut your lows but hey, the EQ on the amp can recover most of that. If you set it for jsut a bit of grind and pull back the filter to about noon it has this overpowering midrange punch that kills.

There are other possible cab combinations. I have been looking into 2x12" and 4x12 cabs for a while, but honestly running 2 2x10"s with that kind of tone in mind (judgin by the youtube links) seems like a recipe for driver failure. Man up and get some big heavy cabinetry.
    Or listen to the Jazz funk guys here that will tell you a pair of 2x10's should cover any venue.

If I was gonna build a cab (and I just may in the near future) I would go for a 4x12. There are a lot of really good 12" drivers out there, you can get a very efficient low end out of 4x12"s ported the right way and, and, and I just read the other day that when Jim Marshall came up with the Marshall head and 4x12 closed back cab he had bass guitar in mind.

I would think a 4x12 in the same format with a deeper, properly tuned cab would kick butt. Only a few guys ever make cabs like that, and they dont seem to sell well. Guess cuz they weigh a ton!
    Oh yeah...no tweets!