Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I want to convert my garage...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    ...into a recording studio :bassist:

However, the idiot who designed the garage placed it literally in the middle of my garden, far away from any form of central heating or electricity. I'd need to get it insulated, the door replaced, double glazing put in, electricity put in etc etc....

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost, and has anyone done the same??

2. I hoped you've saved a lot.

We're looking at doing it right now - insulation is a good sound deadener - but it still won't cover up the bass freq's too well, that calls for some heavy duty sound proofing!
    A lot of the bass will actually travel thru the ground - we still haven't worked out a way to stop that yet............
    All up - its a very expensive exercise, the egg carton type sponge for the wall (over the insulation and deadening sponge panels) is VERY pricey - about $40p sq. mtr over here.
    I'd budget for at least triple of what you think it will cost, IF you wanna keep your neighbours happy with the resulting volume.
    good luck

3. have you checked about planning permission and stuff like that with the council? i wouldn't be surprised if that needed a change of use appliation or something similar- worth checking out... good luck!

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    In American dollars, I would start at $20,000 and go up from there. I have no idea on the size of the structure.

-Mike