So I was asked to play a show TONIGHT...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Petary791, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's right. It's my gilfriend's friend's birthday. Me and a couple guys are gonna rock out a bit. Now I don't care that I was asked today because the songs are easy (D*ck Lips and Mutt by Blink, Gasoline by Audioslave, Sleep Now in the Fire and Born of a Broken Man by Rage,) it's the fact that the party starts at either 6 or 6:30 and I don't get off work til 7.

Wish me luck guys? :)
  2. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005

The closest I've come to that is doing a first rehearsal with a band on Wednesday, discovering that their guitarist doesn't *really* play the guitar at an acceptable level, discovering that their keyboard player didn't *really* play the keys at all... and they wanted to play a gig on Friday.

So I sucked it up, put my drumset away, pulled out my guitar and a drum machine, and we made it work... with two rehearsals... oy.

Tell us how it goes, won't you?
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It was pretty stupid, i'm not gonna lie. I'm not taking personal shots at anyone I played with because I love both of the guys, it just doesn't help that I didn't ever hear them before. The main problem was that all 3 of us didn't know the same songs. The guitarist could play drums and the drummer could play guitar and we just couldn't find a song we could all play. Oh well, i'm jamming with them at a later date for fun.

The best was when we played without a bass (ironically.) I picked up the guitar and started playing some Coheed & Cambria and the drummer knew how to play some Co & Ca so we rocked out some "Welcome Home" and "In Keeping of Silent Earth: 3" until the police shut us down. :meh:

Oh and a moment of being conceded: A couple people came up to me after we got shut down and said that I sounded the best out of the 3. That made me feel real good!
  4. Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    The Coheed and Cambria part is sweet man. They are such a good band i havent seen too many other people who like them.
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah man Co & Ca are amazing! I like to call them the new wave of Prog (with the exception of The Mars Volta-- they're crazy.)
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

Over the summer, a friend and I drove to Denton, TX from here (6-7 hour trip) to visit a friend of ours that lives up there now. We played at a triple kegger college house party less than an hour after we first arrived at our friend's place.
  7. jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    I love Coheed and Mars Volta. Both bands are great live.
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    do you like rush, as well? ;)
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    H yeah I do! Rush is my favorite band of all time along with Tool and Dream Theater.