1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, I was disappointed with a MIA Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spleenface92, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Today I had marching band practice, and I didn't want to run home and get one of my basses, so I used the schools bass: A MIA Fender Precision. It's kinda old, but it looks good. Sunburst with a white pickguard. I plugged it in and immediately noticed how much I didn't like the sound it made. It sounded thin. I mean, I thought my $120 Jay Turser (With seymour duncans in it) sounded better, more full. Is this just a case of bad electronics in this one? I don't know why it sounded so bad. It reminded me of this:

What my jay turser sounded like before...except this P was worse. Anyone got any suggestions as to why this particular Precision sucked so much? I've played other ones, and loved them.

2. Most I've played sound like this:

Full, well defined sound.

3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    could have been the setup, strings or both. possible that it was bad or failing electronics.

4. Emmaemme

Emmaemme

May 20, 2008
    Where's the problem? You're happy with the Turser? Keep it and sell the Fender.

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Depending on how old it could be the pickups getting weak. Or they(pickups) could be too far from the strings .

6. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    How is the amp EQ'd? That first clip sounds pretty normal, but I agree that a P should sound thicker... IMO probably the amps EQ - it isn't the P bass that's EQ'd funny...

That second clip has "tad chorus and a lot of compression" per the video's description, and, more importantly, he's slapping! If you've ever played a P bass that sounds like that when played "normally" - well, I want one of those~!

7. LOL, sorry but that was just a fail at reading the OP :bassist:

But yeh, I have a P bass which I can get a killer, fat tone out of. But I was experimenting with some new parts and electronics, and I tried putting some SD Vintage pickups in, cos I was told it could get me a Fender-ish tone by the shop guy (my bass is not a Fender, but sounds just like or even better than one :ninja:), and guess what; it was CRAP. The tone was completely watered down, the lows had no growl and the highs were tinny and annoying. This is all relative to my old pickups. Re-replaced them straight away.

Dunno what you can make from my post, but there you go

8. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Fender MIA makes lemons to.

9. It's really tough to say what the problem is, as we have no idea what type of MIA Precision it is or when it was manufactured. We have no idea if the pickups are stock, what type of strings are on it, whether the bridge was replaced. We also have no idea what the setup was like or how often it even gets a setup. On top of that I am not sure what it is specifically that you don't like about it.

It's kinda like going to the doctor and saying...I can't describe the pain or where it is coming from but I feel like crap...what's wrong with me?

10. Hmm. I don't own the fender, by the way. The amp is eq'd all flat. I've played my jay turser through it, same settings, and it sounds full and round. My Jaguar (without using the active controls) is the same. My Explorer bass (using both pickups) sounds great. So, could this just be a dud? all the eq controls on the amp are set to mid point (The "Zero" point).

11. It's a bone stock Fender American Standard Precision. It's probably an early 2000's (I want to say around 2004) Precision. I can get the serial number tomorrow. Everything is stock. It has what I believe are fender rounds on it. It seems to be set up well. It certainly plays well. It doesn't feel poorly set up. I have no clue how old the strings are, though.

12. My guess is that perhaps you just didn't like the tone of that bass. Not all Precisions sound the same so maybe this one just didn't have it.

13. Who likes their basses to sound really really thin, like a really cheap bass? I suppose you are right, though. It just seemed odd to me.

14. God forbid you adjust the EQ on your amp.

15. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    My guess is crappy strings or a poorly EQd amp. Or bad ears?

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Woah woah woah, is that what those knobs are for?!?! :eek:

:smug:

17. mtshark

mtshark

Nov 28, 2008
    could be worse... at least you didnt forget your bass like our bass player did when we went to a competition 5 hours away.

18. If it's an early 2000 MIA Precision, would it be possible that the "thin" sound has to do with the S-1 switch being in the "parallel" mode as opposed to "series"?

The traditional fat, meaty P bass tone comes from the split signle-coil pickup when it's in the series mode, while the parallel mode would give it a much brighter and "thinner" sound.

Just a theory.

19. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Yeah does it have an S-1 Switch system? Also the tendency I remember with school instruments are old, usually bad strings, lack of service/setup on bass or the electronics. Might be worth talking to your band director about taking it go get a set up and cleaning.

20. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Forgetting your bass for a show wow thats like walking to work naked.