So, I was recording tonight...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by James Hart, Jun 21, 2004.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My Guitarist/singer was over a couple weeks back and recorded 3 tunes at my place. Cheap $10 mic pointing at him and his acoustic plugged right into my *Vintage* SoundBlaster 16. Well I've been so swamped with work/side work/ gig stuff I haven't got to them till tonight. We ran through this tune last Thursday and in a fit of writers block I just started noodling... the Lead guitarist stopped and freaked over my line. I explained it wasn't anything, it was just my standard noodling... Anyway we worked it a few times and I sat down tonight to record the line to the file that's been waiting.

Benavente Fretless direct into the Soundcard with a touch of compression.

Keep in mind, as usual, the line is still rough and the recording equipment is sub standard...

What do all y'all think? :bag:
  2. Nice tone,and a neat line...

The Vocals aren't really my thing,but I like the rhythm...

Nice song.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Thanks. I dig the singer's voice, but we are trying to get him to ease up a notch. He's a bit intense.

He just bought a good mic, so hopefully the next recordings he'll be less harsh too.
  4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I dig it, you just need to get me a demo recorded to pass around ........ open slot in front of BT would rock your soxs off....... heck is would mine, might even have to drive up for that one :D

Sounds good, jeep up the good work.

Are you keeping the tracks individual so that if you ever get to dump some stuff into pro tools you can and rework things?
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Thanks Brian. With my recording on utter crap computer/mic/soundcard wise... I'm not too concerned with saving tracks.

What these are is the Singer writes a tune, we record him on acoustic & singing with a single mic in the room. I tweek that a bit and then write / record a bass line. Most everything I've got recorded has changed some.... We are looking to record a 3-4 song demo in a local studio and/or upgrade the current recording computer.

I use Cakewalk for the recordings. With a newer/better box I'd be able to run my copy of Sonar 3 (or 2)... but I'm stuck with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 because I'm only on a 300mhz computer :meh:

We've got a few gigs set for July and August, but really need a drummer!