1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I was saving up for a new micro amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveKirkpatrick, Dec 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I went to play a few of the available options at a local shop and came home with this...

IMG_0250-5.JPG

2. Then I went to a vintage guitar show and came home with this.... IMG_0251-2.JPG

SLO Surfer, MCF, BadExample and 10 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yay for toys! :hyper:

Ductapeman and DaveKirkpatrick like this.
  4. Then I went to a local shop and got a great deal on this. IMG_0252.JPG

5. So I don't think Santa is gonna have any micros for me under the tree.... and my wife just wants to give me a lump of coal!

6. NuthinĀ“ wrong with a lump of coal. :roflmao:

rocu, Ductapeman and DaveKirkpatrick like this.
  7. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Id say u scored enough good deals to be set for xmas

DaveKirkpatrick likes this.
  8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    So I went down the drain, and when I finally found my way home my shoes was filled to the rim with poop, all my dreams lay shattered across the floor of my empty appartment, as dust, carried away by the next gust of wind through the broken windows of my miserable life....

Deal with that!!!

;):p

BadExample and DaveKirkpatrick like this.
  9. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've yet to play a micro that'll compete with the Fusion 550, great amp!

10. Yeah- that's what happened in the shop. I compared it nose to nose with several of the new micros (GK, Mesa Boogie, Genzler, Bugera).. I really wasn't looking to buy anything but a micro, but my tune changed. My first head was a GK (400RB) so it kinda felt like coming home ......but somebody had remodeled and improved whilst you were away...

11. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Cool. Can you elaborate on the differences between the micros and the fusion?

osv likes this.
  12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Those are some Big A** micros...

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I never A/B'd them but having played both the Fusion 550 and the MB Fusion sounded really close to me.

The MB800 and the 1001RB-II sounded more different to each other (the MB had a more exaggerated scoop to my ear and the 1001 had more clean headroom) than the Fusion 550 and MB Fusion did. YMMV

metron likes this.
  14. Lucky!

15. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    The heat goes on... I had a 1001 once upon a time and really liked it. Always wondered about the fusion 550. Im firmly in micro land with a th500 and a d800 though. Anyhoo congrats op on the gear/coal for xmas!

16. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    R Baer and DaveKirkpatrick like this.
  17. To my ear, on this particular day,the Fusion 550 seemed to have more heft/umph/gravity/weight to the note way down in the thick of it- low mids/bass. Overall, I would say many of the micros sounded great and the mb fusion sounded very similar to the 550- but there was a different feel. This difference may or may not be desirable to some folks. In a band situation, I don't know that the difference would matter to everybody- but it sure feels good to me. I did almost opt for the mb fusion due to the size/weight considerations.

I do not want to start a micro amp bash-fest- 'cause there's an awful lot of cool stuff out right now. The experience surprised me because I'm not a micro amp basher- I have an Aguilar Tonehammer that I really like. I also have an Acoustic Image amp that I like for some things. I started this thread because sometimes it's funny the roads the quest for your tone/sound will take you down. I really didn't set out to have my own personal Tube/Iron Renaissance , I thought I was saving up for a Bergantino B-amp, but here I am. IMHO,YMMV,ETC.....

R Baer and kev451 like this.

18. SO. MUCH. WIN.:thumbsup: drool

For your ears, not so much for your back.

boamedt and DaveKirkpatrick like this.
  19. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Every time I get close to buying one of the current well regarded minis I read a thread like this and go enjoy the things I have.

The heft thing is something that I prefer on stage.

20. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I have moved into the class D / micro amps camp in the last couple of years, also into small / light cabinets... but reversed my trend too, and have just gotten a 65 pound Fender Super Bassman. Sounds decidedly better than the small amps I have acquired (MB200, TH350, MB Fusion 800 -- although the MBF800 is pretty close). But, while the SB is becoming the #1 when Tone Is All, the micros are still going to see a lot of use. I don't like hauling massive amounts of gear into small or poorly-accessible venues.