So i was stupid and stabbed my finger. PLESE HELP!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kaboom, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Kaboom

Jun 13, 2005
    I was playing around with a leatherman knife (excellent, i heartily recommend them) while talking on the phone and i stabbed my left-hand index finger right in the callus.
    Its been a couple of days and the wound is obviously not closing. It hurts to play.
    Should i lay off bass for a couple of days, or band-aid it, or what?
    Its not big, like a couple of millimitres long, but its quite deep. Its not bleeding anymore, but it aint closing, either.
    i guess that'll teach me...
  2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Unless you have a gig in the near future, I'd lay off. However, if you do have a gig, apply Superglue liberally. It works for me.

Oh, and don;t play with knives while on the phone. ;)
  3. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I cut my index fretting finger pretty good about a day before a gig, it wasn't directly where I fret but kinda on the side of the tip of my still hurt like h*ll when playing. I put a band aid on it and wrapped duct tape around the band aid to keep it from coming off.......pulled off the gig with no problem. :) duct tape is a man's best friend.
  4. I did the same thing, except I cut the index finger on my righ hand. I use my fingers to play, and the cut was right on the pad and I just ripped it open when playing. I was able to get electrical tape wrapped around it, that worked pretty well. Took a few layers to get a nice rounded curve so I could pluck the string.
  5. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'd say - give it time to heal if you are not gigging.

Otherwise, the superglue suggestion was good, and you can also try liquid bandage.
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Definately superglue. I use it for pole vualt when my hands rip up...Patch it up and don't pick at it (I do it; it starts cracking and stuff).
  7. Damn... You guys know that introducing superglue into your bloodstream can have very ill effect on your body? You can get very sick from practicing this method of "first aid." Instead, you should use new skin and cover the wound when playing with tape of some sort, to prevent the liquid-band-aid from breaking open during playing.

Obviously I'm no doctor (or my sn would be "dr. dbl") but I have heard this words fly from a doctors mouth in person, and on MTv's "Meet the Barkers" (lol) It is a very dangerous risk, and I understand that many of you won't take it serisously, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

8. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    when i cut my finger(s) (i build model cars and the knife slips occasionally, plus they are ridiculously sharp) i just band-aid them up or just lay off.
  9. Cynoacrylate (superglue) was and is used as a replacement for skin incision sutures. The longer chain 2-octyl cyanoacrylate breaks down more slowly with less concentration of the byproducts in the surrounding tissue than the older butyl-2-cyanoacrylate, and also has the advantage of being approximately 3 times "tougher" (3-D breaking strength). It is also approved by the FDA, see the DermaBond product for an example.

Or, put more smart-aleky, I'm sure the plastic surgeons and emergency doctors would be glad if you came around to warn them of what they are doing wrong... :bag:
  10. Okay, yeah, but I highly doubt that they just travel on down to the local hardware store and buy the first tube of loctite they see...:bag:

11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Loctite isnt exactly the same as superglue.
  12. I've been living in a racing family my whole life... trust me, I know what LocTite is... I was just making a joke.

13. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Reminds me of a story way back.
    I was 12-13 years old when me and a buddy was playing with crackers.
    We had those Tiger and Russian crackers which explode like if hell broke lose ( In that time it felt like hell ).
    So he throws the cracker and it dosnt explode, so we sit there for a while and just watch.
    Then i said i think its clear so i grabbed it with my right hand.
    Then it exploded man, seriously my hand was a total mess.
    The skin was hanging the blood boiled man, it boiled bubbles of blood not to much though but anyways that freaked me out. So there you are 12-13 years with your right hand expected to be amputated. So my friend went to get our parents that were drinking coffeé in the house. We were outside... duh! That day i really learned how much i apreciate my right hand, no bass without it. I was lucky and didn't have to amputate it though, they were cleaning away the blood with some kind of paper and band aided it really good. I didnt feel good for 5 whole days because of the blood loss so i was dizzy for a long time. So if you dont want to see the bones in your hand and dont want it to feel like it was 200 fahrenheit hot, then DON'T YOU EVER PICK UP THROWN CRACKERS!

This happened in Croatia.

Today i'm 17 and my hand is like new but though it suffers from excem now or how it's spelled.

Peace /Cloud :bassist:
  14. I once stapled my thumb through to the nail with a stapler just messing around. I've also had some situations with upright bass where I'd get a bloody wound or something on my finger that would keep reopening if I used it. I discovered that if a finger hurts enough you'll be able to figure out how to play without it till it heals.
  15. DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    do not play for a few days,if you don't have a gig that is.
    there's a product from bandaid(i think) when you apply it,it goes on like liquid then it dries like some kind of plastic film(something like that) try it i heard is really good
  16. bass_newbie

Oct 24, 2005
    DEFINITELY take a few days off. Let your finger heal up instead of experimenting with first aid. If you do decide to go the superglue option, use instead Liquid Skin.

Are you sure that you don't need stitches?

I am a long time violinist along with learning bass. I cut my finger a few months back and ultimately needed stitches. I was unable to play bass or violin for maybe a few weeks. While my injury may or may not be more serious than yours, the same concept applies.

Trust me, in the long run you'll want to take some time off from bass instead of permanently having an injured finger.
  17. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    I've used duct tape succesfully as well. I especially dig the camo tape, although my guitarist usually carries the pink stuff.
  18. Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    Here, I've got one too.

I was holding down a fast-food job a few years back when I had an open-mic nite gig at the local bookstore, a couple of friends counting on me. The local newspaper was going to be there, etc. Well that night at work I sliced my fretting hand open chopping lettuce, 2 hours later I'm at the gig and it's just stopped bleeding. No one else there with a bass or the remotest idea how to play one. I duct taped it as well as I could but 10 minutes into our 20-minute set my makeshift bandage was so soaked in blood that it just fell right off. I bled all over the fretboard and strings. The few people who were paying attention looked pretty shocked and I got invited to audition for a death metal band!

I learned about superglue that night.
  19. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm confused. I heard that whatever toxic in superglue isn't enough to do anything or whatever?

Anyways, that and when I was in the trainer's office at school someone didn't really care for toughskin + bandaid, I said superglue and the trainer was like yeah, that'll work...didn't sound sarcastic or anythin.

Eh, I'll keep using it for vault for now...anyways, hands havnt't been rippin up so I'm alrite I guess.
  20. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005