1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I was thinking, after my truck got broken into last night...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Armueller2001, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Is there any type of device that you can set up on something like a truck toolbox that when disturbed would send a cell phone a text message, or trigger an alarm a few blocks away?

Just thinking it would be better to apprehend a thief that way than a boisterous car alarm that just scares them off.

:help:

2. pingone

pingone

Nov 29, 2007
    they make car alarms with a pager that lets you know when the alarm has gone off. i'm sure you could put a trigger on the toolbox.

3. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Watching this one.

4. Just sleep in your car with a 12 gauge.

:ninja:

5. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Be nice to be warned, but then you have to apprehend the mofo's and get your stuff back. It could get messy and physical.

I just carry my bass(es) around with me all the time as I have for decades. Never lost one to a thief yet. I use a plastic coated metal wire to lock up my amp/cabs/pedal box in clubs when there's are more than one act.

It sucks though - what did they get?

6. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Trunk Monkey!

7. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That's fine, "messy and physical" doesn't bother me, I wouldn't mind beating some idiot with a bat for trying to break into my truck. Just need to be alerted to it.

Nothing, actually. My toolbox was still locked, just pried open a bit. They probably got spooked before they had a chance to get all the way inside.

8. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    You have a baseball bat they might have a gun. Use your grey matter before it gets blown out first.

9. Flawless. I want one. Now.

10. Hi

The internet is apparently filled with instructions how to convert old cellphones to alarm devices, please do a search.

:rollno:

^This.

There's a good probability that they're high as well. Ever tried to deal with someone who's done speed? Probably not.

+

Don't know what's the law like over there, but over here You'll get the same for hurting a crook as you would if it was a regular human ;).

You're really willing to do a long stretch, perhaps a life, over some random posessions in a car?

I thank the divine for the fact that I've never caught anyone stealing from me. I can be a bit impulsive, if You know what I mean...

Regards
    Sam

11. people gotta do something......here,recently a 60 yr old grocer got got charged because a shoplifter he struggled with died.....it may be just possessions to some,but it's his livelyhood to him and i doubt that it's the first time he's been victimized.....those random possessions in a car are bought and paid for with hours out of your life...the damage from the break in must be paid for and insurance usually has deductibles

if the law was doing something about this stuff i would let them take care of it,but they dont.....why should we work hard so some worthless parasite can steal from us.....

i hope that more people find the courage to fight back....

12. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    ... and I wouldn't waste the whole rest of them to save a few weeks' worth.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Depends on which state you live in. An interesting thing about our system is that a lot of things are left up to the states to decide, and each state can have its own laws. IIRC, some states pretty much allow you to do anything you want to an intruder on your property. My state is probably more like where you live.

14. But "around your car" isn't the same in most states as "on your property." I live in Tennessee, which uses the castle doctrine. If someone breaks into my house, I can assume they mean to harm me and can respond w/ deadly force. That doesn't apply to someone breaking into my car, unless I'm in it at the time.

As explained by my handgun carry permit trainer, if someone is breaking into your car in your driveway (or anywhere else for that matter), you can go out there armed and tell them to leave. The same rules as being in a public place apply from that point on. If they attack you, you can respond. If they turn and run, even if they are carrying you stereo, you can't shoot.

15. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Just out of curiosity, what options does someone have if an intruder breaks into their house with/without intent to harm their family? Politely ask them to leave while dialing the police?

16. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Do a quick count of how many witnesses you have vs. how many they have ...

17. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    [​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

:confused:

18. Hi.

Over here, pretty much no options unless You happen to be a trained officer or eqvivalent.

Even then, if You kill or seriously hurt them, you'll be procecuted. If You aren't a pro, you can kiss your freedom goodbye if something happens to the crook.

Fair, HELL NO, reality, HELL YES.

Also the reality over here (anywhere?) is that we are free to choose where we want to live. If the environment is too hostile we always have the option to move. NOT fair either for a law abiding sitizens, but that's how the system works and we have accepted that.

+ 1 for L-A's post.

Since when Your material posessions equal the safety of your loved ones? Or family anyway ;).

Since no-one has provided any links to answer the original question, here's the simplest Google search I could come up with:

http://www.google.fi/search?hl=fi&source=hp&q=cell+phone+car+alarm&meta=&aq=o&oq=

Regards
    Sam