Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I was watching public TV last night...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by silentstranger, Dec 23, 2002.

1. ...well, surfing through it anyway...and I saw some dude tearing it up on a pedal steel guitar so I started watching. I ended up watching the band's entire performance, and WOW! These guys were incredible; it was a drummer, bassist, Hammond, and the aforementioned pedal steel guy. The music is tough to describe, kind of a combination of blues, jam, rock, country, a little funk and soul, etc...but pure ENERGY! The band was tight, and they worked the crowd really well. At one point, the pedal steel dude kicked the chair out from under himself and played while simultaneously doing footwork that would put Michael Jackson to shame :eek: The bassist was quite good; played a 6-string and had a strange style that seemed to be equal parts finger, slap and strumming...very funky.

I found out eventually that they were called Robert Randolph and the Family Band. Anybody ever heard of these guys? In any case, I highly recommend you check them out; I found their website at (reasonably enough) http://www.robertrandolph.net/
    Haven't had a chance to listen to any of their stuff on the site, but if the four or five songs I heard last night are any indication, it should be great. Check it out!
    :D

2. I saw the same show while surfing. I had never heard anyone play a pedal steel like that in my life.
    My wife can't stand the sound of a steel guitar and she said that guy was pretty good. Worth watching again!!