Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I was watching this bassist play last night...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Feb 14, 2004.

1. The bassist was playing a fender jazz bass, into an ampeg b2r, with either an ampeg 215 or 810 cab. I couldn't tell which speakers were in the cab though. I noticed the tone had some boom to it, but you could still hear the clarity of jazz pickups when the tone nob is all the way to the treble side. The reason why I am posting this is because for the entire set, the bassists amp was clipping. The red peak light was full on for probaly 98% of playing time. Does this light just mean boo, or do you think that bassist has no idea how to work an amp with settings and stuff? I thought this was very odd. He wasn't even loud at all for a heavy rock band.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That's just because the B2R is the quietest 350 watts you'll ever hear.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    A truer statement has never been made.

~Patrick

4. Hmm... my peak light on my SVT-3 is also full on (all the time); that way I get a nice overdriven tube-sound. I don't know if the B2R's solidstate clipping sound is that nice sounding though...

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Ultimately, who cares? The point is to make music in a pleasing fashion and it sounds like you noticed his tone in a good way. Just becasue an amp is clipping it is not automatically a bad thing. "real" punk rock depended on gear clipping/distorting to give it that raw edge, likewise with early metal. IOW, listen to the music and judge that, if you want to know about the gear on stage, your best bet is to actually ask the person using it. Nicely and stuff.

6. Well I was curious because i thought is that red light was full on all the time, it ment clipping, which is supposed to break your amp and cabs :eek: I don't understand any of this punk stuff you are talking about, I don't care what the person's tone is or anything, I was just curious because I thought maybe he was trying to blow his speakers or something. Almost everyone on talk bass says this and that about your amp can never clip or all hell will break loose

7. Yeah well... I guess you don't want your 2000 watt poweramp to clip with your 500 watt cabinets.
    Tube (pre)amps however get their typical overdriven sounds when the input signal is clipped.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No it doesn't - that is rubbish!! :confused:
    No they don't!!

I've been been here over 5 years and I've never heard anybody say that!! There have been many discussions about this kind of thing, but I can't remember anybody saying anything this simplistic..and getting away with it!! ;)

9. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    What's up with ampeg heads? I had to borrow a rig for a show once and this guy had some kind of svt-4 or something, said it was 1000w. He had two 4x10's and my bandmates and I were never further than 6 feet from it. Wouldn't ya know the drummer and second guitarist said they couldn't hear it all. It was turned up quite far too, much further than I would expect to have to turn it up. Strange.

10. You can't see a 15" speaker but you can see where the tone knob is set on a Jazz? That's too funny.

11. I'm not supposed to say this but here goes: Many Ampegs have a "Buddy" switch. Typically it's hidden in one of the amp's feet or it's disguised as a rack handle. Some Ampeg owners will engage this switch when letting a buddy borrow their Ampegs to ensure that they don't abuse the amp (or an audience). I think that the "Buddy" switch happened to you.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I could understand why a e i o u could see the tone control and not the speakers. If it's an Ampeg Classic series cabinet without a bright light shining on the front, the grille cloth will do a fine job of blocking a clear view of the drivers behind it...

Most likely the bassist was on camera and the backline was just visible...

Ampeg really should do something to enhance the power output of the B2R...it's a fine sounding amp but needs more muscle. Heck, if they made a single rack space preamp version...I suppose that they could call it a "B2P", I'd consider buying one.

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    They did, it's called a B4r

14. DUDE... STOP THAT!! quit giving away these secrets!! If my "buddy"s find the switch, I'm doomed.

I will say my SVT 4Pro at 1600 watts (actually I think its only 1200 with 1600 peak) is a LOT louder than my QSC PLX 1602/Navigator rig. It will absolutely smoke my drummer, and give my guitar players 5150 head and 2 4x12 cabs a run for his money.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    cb56...true...sort of. The B4R is 3U and has that 5 position mid switch thingy...

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Is this true?
    BRILLIANT!!!!

17. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY

*shrugs* I couldn't hear it when he played through it either.