Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I watched Easy Rider today.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lo-end, Jun 6, 2003.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I was flipping through the various movie channels today and found Easy Rider on Cinemax. So I put it on. Apparently this is supposed to be a 4 star movie, but I fell asleep halfway through it.

I don't know what this thing is supposed to be about besides two really weird looking dudes riding around the desert all messed up. Anyone care to shed some light? I mean, it seems like one of those movies you're supposed to have seen, kinda like the Godfather or something.

Meh.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, remember the time. That was a daring essay on the drug and antiestablishmentarianism of the time.

Now it's pretty tame. Good flick though.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yeah. Back then, people used to use words like antiestablishmentarianism all the time :)

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And probably spelled it correctly, too.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I just cut and pasted it....I'm not one for spelling, but I'm a stickler for pronouncification.....

6. If you saw it on one of the movie channels, it was most probably heavily censored. Get the DVD, and listen to the director's commentary. The DVD also contains a program called "Easy Rider; Shaking The Cage" which examines the making of "Easy Rider" in the context of the attitudes and prejudices of the times. Don't expect any SFX or jump cuts or exciting car-chases. This movie is for the thinking-person. Jack Nicholson is brilliant; Peter Fonda is "so-so", as is Dennis Hopper. The most interesting characters are the town-folk they meet on the way - the film was shot on a limited budget, so they just got some of the locals to play themselves. Gives quite an insight into the prejudices which still exist today. "Easy Rider" looks a bit dated by today's standards, but bear in mind this film was made in 1969 - the cinematography is good, but due mostly to the locations; the soundtrack is excellent.

Hope this helps -

- Wil

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I really enjoyed this movie. Watched it with my mom, who at the time of the movie was in Seattle. It really helped having her explain certain things that weren't quite right to me. I understoof 99% of the film, but there were a few scenes that were pretty time dependant.

Great movie though, one of Nicholson's best roles, IMHO.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If you're on a '60s/Nicholson kick-

Check out The Monkees' Head(Nicholson wrote, directed, & appeared in) & Five Easy Pieces.