Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I went in to get the Elixers...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    And came out with the new GHS Infinity Steels. They are red. I looked at them, and they look a little flatter wound than the elixers, but feel just about at smooth. Once again I didn't get the string I went in for. he threw me a deal of $39. I guess they are usually $60. From what I am reading, they are going to be pretty bright. I dont really know what to expect when I try them out later. Just thought maybe people could share their experiences with these strings. I got the medium (.44-.106)
    Wes

2. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Wes,

So, what do you think of them?? Do they look weird being red? How do they sound and last?

3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know enough about strings to really make a good review of them, but I have been through a few of the different brands available at GC. I really like these strings. I have a set of Elixers on my Spector, and the Infinities on my Ibanez EDA900. The red doesn't really look that weird, but since my bass in grey and the strings are a dark red, I look like I support the OSU buckeyes...Which I do, so it is fine.
    These strings are not as slick as the Elixers. But they are not rough at all. I have very little string noise now, but there isn't any less highend extension as I work up the neck. I get good attack with figers or pick. They haven't even begun to breakdown yet, and I have had a gig and some hearty practices with them, as well as the usual daily grind of scales and such. They sound as good as when I put them on. You should be able to get these for $40. They are the same price as the Elixers. Ernie Ball strings would have started sounding dull by now. Just get them, you will be happy. They last so long that there is no way that you wont be. The package has a brightness chart on it and these are supposed to be on the upper end of brightness, but they don't seem overly bright to me. They are just right. To be fair, I dont use my tweeter,and I don't boost the highs at all. Its a perfect blend to my ears. Good luck,
    Wes

4. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Wes,

Thanks for the info. I've got a set already. They came with my new Roscoe (WHeeeeee!!). I'm a bit leary of putting stainless strings on the beatiful neck. The frets are still perfect. I'm just trying to get an idea about what to expect if I use them.

Thanks.

5. I have a set of the Infinity Steels on my 5 string tobias and cannot say enough good about them. They have a different feel to them, sort of tacky in a way but it seems to allow a lot of definition in the tone and attack. I like the brightness and the feel. I was an elixir user but after having to sets peel after about 2weeks on my bass I got frustrated and have always had good luck with GHS so I went for it. The outter winding is anodized or some similar process. I have worn some of the anodizing off the strings but nothing major. The strings have been on since thanksgiving and still no issues. Sound as good as day 1.

6. i got a set of infinity steels about 3 months ago for free from bass central when i bought my MTD Heir 5 fretless. I never bothered to even look at the strings because for my Roscoe i always go with DR lo-riders but when i decided to change the strings on my Cirrus 5 back up i took off my first string and then opened the package and gasped as i realized they were red. Since i already had one string off i went ahead and put the red infinity steels on with great hesitation. Once the strings were on i was surprised by how much i like the look. i have a maple cirrus with a maple/purple heart neck through, the red strings look great on the neck through and very cool over the rosewood board.

The sound on these strings is a bit bright at first, killer for slap. after some tweaking of my eq i was able to get a very usable and smooth tone out of these strings. My only complaint is that they arent the guage i usually use 45-130's but the infinity steels are 44-126.

all in all a good set of strings, i'll update on the life of the strings as time passes. hope this helps.

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I have a set on my Spector Euro 5, which is also red. They look awesome and sound just as good too, I just wish they came in more guages for 5-string.

8. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I've had the Infinity Steels on my Roscoe for about 3 weeks. I've been playing a lot since it's a new bass, but I must say that I'm not impressed. They were great when they were new, but they died within about a week and a half - especially for slap sound. They still sound really good for finger style, but totally dead for slap.

I'm going to keep them around and try a boiling to see how that affects them. Next up is a set of Low Riders.