Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I went into one of those music stores...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    to buy some strings. I broke my D and decided to buy a new set, I hadn't got a new set in a while. I had to be back to my girlfriends place pretty soon so I knew that I couldn't play too long. I went to the bass section the second I got there. I got to try out a bass with a tremolo... awesome... but I didn't get to plug it in... no time. I spent most of my time on an old cheapo upright bass they are asking too much for. I always play it when I come in. So as I walk over to it, nearby I hear some guy on an accoustic guitar wankin' his ass off, loud too! I start playing the upright, I played a classical feeling thing... nothing that great, like I said before, I've only played an upright a few times in my life. The guy stopped playing... looked at me. Then started playing at like half of the volume he was playing at. I guess since I was on one of those "classical" instrument, he actually confused me for a musician. I had to leave though, I was already late for dinner. I had chicken and rice and broccoli in this way awesome sauce... it was yummy.

On a side note: Whenever you are wondering, "How does such and such get such awesome tone?" try new strings. If you are having trouble getting great tone with ancient strings, that's your problem. I was wondering how Mike Watt got that tone on "Contemplating the Engine Room"... new strings got me a lot closer than I was before. So remeber...

New strings = :cool:

2. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    "You have more tonal options with new strings" - Will Lee. How the hell did i remember that? Uh, yeah, those stores are cool. Most guitarists turn up, not down, lucky you.

Hey, what the hell.

[​IMG]

The macro that will never be funny ever. But who cares.

4. I'm very proud of ya, Matt....

What kind of bass tremolo?....Hipshot has a new system out for bass...

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm not sure, I was so low on time, I saw a bass with a tremolo, picked it up... did an E power chord, whammied it and put it down and accepted it's coolness.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    There is also the remote possibility that he was a decent guy and felt bad about hogging up all the "sonic space" and turned down so you could hear yourself.

7. Guitarist; decent guy??? :confused:

Err???

:)

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I would kill for a tremolo bass... or spit out $80 bucks for a bridge with one...

9. I actually prefer dead strings. I like GHS Boomers (medium/light) because they're dead after about one show. There are some disadvantages (like you can't do harmonics very well), but overall, I just like to play with that tone better.

I'm actually glad I like dead strings because bass strings are expensive! Our guitarist changes her strings about two or three times a week. I think I change mine about once a year. :)

-Wade

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I like music stores where there aren't people wankin overly loud. I like new strings but they can't be first time ever played on them new. After about 2-3hrs i think just enough of the ping has gone away that they sound perfect. That being said i'm tempted to try some steels so that i can keep that tone for longer. Oh well. Thats all

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Creepy reading between Matt's lines:

(Stupid Matt should have wrote)

I play so damn hard I break bass strings. I have a girl friend. I can play URB. My girl friend cooks for me. I play URB so good everyone else stops what they're doing to hear me play. My girl friend is a great cook. My girl friend is hot. I can play EBG like Mike Watt and I double on URB. I have a very active social life and I'm always in great demand. My girlfriend is hot. I rule at bass and I get all the chicks.

:p

J/K Matt, I'm just super bored and picking on you cause I know you can take it....
    ;)

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Lets see...

Unfortunatly, yes :(
    Strange isn't it.
    If you don't mind terrible intonation and not that impressive playing... yep.
    Isn't she sweet?
    Yes
    Yes
    I like to think so.
    Don't let Mr. Watt know I said this but... yes ;)
    No :(
    :bassist:
    I don't rule at bass but... lets just say I've had a seventh grader (when I was in 11th grade) take pictures of me when I wasn't looking and hang them up in her room... wow... that was creepy.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Speaking of how kick ass I am at bass... I was just over at my apartment playing and I see some guy walk by. This happens a lot... people walking by that is. I'm on a basement floor. He comes to my door and knocks on it. I open it and he was like, "Dude, I just thought I'd let you know that that was ****in' sweet." A bit shocked I was like, "Thanks." We chatted a bit, the obligitory "congratulations on playing your way cool and radically awesome instrument" high five and he was on his way. So in case anyone was wondering, I'm aparently bad ass.

:bassist: <--- Me.

14. Danny R.

[​IMG]

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Someone likes the new smileys they have found. :)

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    And humble as hell.:spit:

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You are Bi-polar aren't you? how many times have you posted along the lines of "I suck, I'll never get good, I suck, maybe I just wasn't born to play, wah"

and now you are posting that you CAN play?

I'm :confused:

but whatever...makes no difference to me, so long as you aren't kicking yourself about your abilities(or lack thereof depending on your mood :meh: )
    :bag:

18. Danny R.

[​IMG]

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I forgot to add a :rolleyes: or perhaps the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] dealy. I still suck at bass.

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm sure you don't suck, but if you keep telling yourself that it will probably hinder your development. I think you should have some pride.

There is a fine line between confidence and ego, and it's okay to poke over it from time to time.