Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I went into the local music store today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    ...to get out of the heat and check out the weak selection of basses. The only people in the place are me and the guy that runs the shop. I pick up an SR5 and bemoan the fact that it not lefty and and go into a short rant about how hard it is around here to find lefty's. First, the guy tells me that it is hard to keep leftys in stock because they sell out as soon as they get them in. :meh: I know this is BS because I have been in this shop many times and they NEVER have leftys. :( So he proceeds to tell me that they are an EB dealer and could order one for me. So I tell him that I am considering it, but am trying to decide whether to get an SR5 or a Bongo. Without batting an eye, he points to the percussion section and says "we have a nice set over here, just came in!" :eek: :rollno:

2. LOL, congrats to the dealer...
    And the best thing in the story is "we are EB dealer!"
    What a story...:rolleyes:

3. Thats terrible. I wouldn't be shopping there too often if I was you.

4. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    We lefties have it tough.

5. Lefty bongos would be easy. You just switch em around.

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    That is a very sad story.

7. Maybe its because they are sold out by the time you get there. :D

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been teaching myself to play left-handed, mostly for my own amusement.

Does this make me really, really sick in the head, or what?

9. I wish I could laugh at this, but the truth of it is, all my local stores are exactly the same. It's a darn good thing I only live about an hour and a half from Bass Northwest, because I won't buy anything but cables and picks from my local stores. They just suck that bad. We have 3 music stores in town and this is our complete bass selection:

Squire
    Peavey (Cheapo)
    Fender(never American)
    Dean
    Ibanez (GSR only)

And amps...well that's a little better:

Fender
    Mesa
    Genz Benz
    Peavey
    SWR
    Ampeg
    Ashdown

But seriously! We're a town of 75000! And we're a college town! Give us some selection!!

I went head shopping today and discovered that there are a total of 8 heads (new and used) IN THIS WHOLE FRIGGIN TOWN!!! (All at $200+ over where they should be)

Ok, sorry for the drift. I'm just pissed.

10. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    So are you ordering the SR5 or buying bongos? :bag:

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Lefty Bongos are available for order now, by the way. Took a while for them to get to you leftys but now everyone can join the cult.

12. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    LOL!....funny story. the good thing about stores with bad selection is when they get a good bass it feels like christmas :hyper:

Finally got to play my first bongo because of it....but really how much were the bongos :p

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Could be worse. I'm in a city, 200,000, and we don't even have that. There are literally no music stores in Chattanooga. Take heart, dude, Bass Northwest is just down in Seattle.

I used to drive a couple hours evey few months to Bass Central down in Orlando (when I was only two hours from it). Now if I want so much as ...anything, really, I have to run down to Atlanta. How bogus is that?

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Marley, Delaware isn't that big. Can't you just go to Philadelphia, Baltimore or DC? People dog GC around here, but they have a better selection than that.

15. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    picker
    Is The Picker's Exchange no longer around?

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It recently became a sub shop (shortly before I got here, as there were "XXXX Subs here!" Signs up pointing in the parking lot.

Right now, there's two shops in the Chattanooga area, one has an Ampeg B2R, and a BR100 (or some 1x15 combo), and that's it, no joke. It has a couple Johnson basses, a couple Austin's and then an oddball or two. Total? 6 or 7 basses. It's a joke.

The other also carries Austin, and the low end Parkers, and that's it. There are no amps in the store, just a couple PA monitors and some acoustic guitars. That's it. I think they have one bass in the entire store. But, I think they make money on repairs, as they do amp and instrument fixes.

I'ma have to bail out of town and drive about 30-45 minutes to go see about one across the lake, but I've not got my hopes up. The pawn shops have better selections; across the boards, too; amps, basses, guitars, drums, keys, PA...the pawn shops are where I go.

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Yeah, I could. There are some good stores in MD and PA. But between work and family, I just don't have that much free time. :(

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hope I didn't sound harsh. I know how rough it can be snatching some time to get to the shop to check things out. :)

19. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I got one of my Roscoes for an absolute steal at a pawn shop here in town, as well as a TON of other great stuff. I make my rounds every week. :^)