1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So...I Went on a Search for a SMALL Bass Amp and...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R Briere, Oct 21, 2013.

1. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

I've now read about 6 Praises for this Greenboy Stuff. How much are these Cabinets? btw.....Very Nifty Amp Stand. :)

2. R Briere

This and the GK that one of you mentioned appear to be sound investments and probably available at my local Music Store. Can you Give me an idea of the Street Price of These Amps? Many Thanks. :)

3. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    If you go for great tone, you will always have something that you want, or at least can sell without a great loss. Also, if it sounds great, you will be more motivated to practice. Above mentioned Crazy 8 fits that need, and also probably also fits under a chair.

4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Here's a thread where you can get loads of info, reviews, etc. of the Crazy8. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/crazy8-crazy88-868215/

If you want to discuss pricing, check with any Greenboy Audio authorized builder. I've relied on Joseph Hawley ("jHAWK Customs LLC") who has built me five amazing Greenboy cabs. Highly recommended. You can reach him at joseph@jhawkcustoms.com

The amp stand works great, esp. when I use it at wineries and am playing on a dirt surface.

5. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    No issues whatsoever.

6. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    You want a combo that's

• Truly portable (which means light, small, and robust)
    • Great sounding
    • Affordable
    • Genuinely gig-worthy (which means reliable and loud with solid bass)
    Hard to do better than the G-K 200MB combo. I've got one from the '80s. It's awesome.

Here's my ultraportable micro rig of doom...

IMG_0540.

7. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
  8. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Too bad you didn't consider the PJB Briefcase. I had one. Phenomenal sound. The EQ is very well-voiced for fretless basses, with tons of control over the all-important mids. It also puts out genuinely tight, controlled lows...just not at high volumes. Perfect for an "under the chair" rig with an all-acoustic group.

ChuckRainey.

9. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Easy enough to search for these. The p5110 that I have may have been replaced with this, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ibanez-promethean-p3110-300w-1x10-bass-combo-amp. Only $349 out the door at MF, though I think the specs are slightly different. I think I paid 6 bills for mine brand new, street price used is likely $350 to $450. Here is one in the classifieds for $450, http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/promethean-5110-a-885495/.

Not sure on the GK stuff, but like I said, easy enough to search. Good luck, happy hunting.

Edit: could have been 5 bills, I can't remember.

10. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    The original G-K 200MB fits the bill. It's pretty much the only micro-combo that's considered a genuine classic. There's a reason why folks like Ron Carter still take the stage with a 200MB.

Just make sure the speaker is in good shape. The foam degenerates and it's a PITA to replace.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It is?

12. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    My ,markbass mini mark is amazing at 20 lbs and 150 watts up to 250 with extension and simple enough for me to use. Use it for jazz gigs in nyc. Try it out best tone I heard for small portable under 25 lbs.

13. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    If all you need is to balance with unamplified acoustic guitars, many small amps will do that job. I have a Fender Bassman 100 (100w, single 10" speaker) that I like. It's not the ultimate small combo, but it's 26lbs, sounds good, gets loud enough for small gigs, has a kickback option, and won't scare anyone.

Polytone Mini Brute? SWR Baby Blue? ...

14. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    We'll see if the Mini Mark, PJB Briefcase/Flightcase, etc. stand the test of time. I think most would agree that the 200MB is a classic for good reason.

Good point.

At 45 lbs and 25" tall, it doesn't qualify as a micro rig in my book.

15. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    If you are interested in the Ibanez P3110, I got mine at Musicians Friend for $299.

16. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    Tall, but skinny. For that time period, I'd call it a micro, but I understand how you could see it differently.

17. Bowe

Bowe

Apr 1, 2013
    Italy
    Before I went truly tiny (Roland micro-cube) I had my SWR LA-12 that doubled AS my chair but in the acoustic world even that was overkill, along with the fact that it was a bit tough to find power in some of the jam locations. I've run it on inverters for parking lot pickin' sessions and kept 75' of extension cables as part of that kit. Then I bought an upright, and all was good with the 'purists.'.

Then I moved to Manhattan, NYC (not KS) and stuffed the URB into the subway, that didn't last long until I got the Roland. I lived by Central Park and had my choice of playing my upright or using the Roland with an electric for jams in the park but I don't think that the upright ever made it to Central Park.

The Roland also isn't that 'intimidating' (my comment of "not as electric") where a 'real' combo, or an amp and cab setup, that needs to plug in would be. There are some 'purists' that will express their disdain at any form of non-acoustic amplification, but the micro-cube can usually sneak by and be allowed, where even my LA-12 would not.

18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    There ya go...

19. R Briere

How are ya, Jeff.....???? :) We don't ALL know that....but you and I do. :)

One of my reasons for posting this was exactly as described. The other was to educate young or impressionable consumers that quite a few manufacturers are simply selling crap these days......and expecting that the purchaser will keep moving up the ladder 6 or 8 times. In many of the threads I see here young players are screaming at one another about the merits of buying garbage....and dealers are stocking the stuff.

I applaud every one of the posters here. No yelling. No posing...just laying out the truth. Here's what gets the job done and you can be out and playing gigs with decent gear for under $500. Avoid the bells and whistles and your first amp can become your dressing room amp in a few years. :)

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    This exactly the same way I feel about photography gear! Having been into photography since the wet plate era I bemoan all the bells & whistles that are on cameras these days. Why can't Canon, Nikon, etc. just make a digital camera that is the equivalent of a FTb or F2, for example? Simple, manual exposure and just what else is needed for digital housekeeping, so to speak. There are way too many chioces to make on these modern cameras that by the time you decide what you want to use and set it with a deep menu to plow through that the "decisive moment" is way gone! A Leica M8-9/M is about as close as one will get to such a camera but at what $$$!!! Where did all the simple, inexpensive cameras go to?

Leave all the digital stuff of of practice/moderate level gigging amps, that is what pedals and effects loops are for, right? The great concept of KISS doesn't exist much anymore, unfortunately. :bawl: