1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So...I Went on a Search for a SMALL Bass Amp and...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R Briere, Oct 21, 2013.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree. I just need Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble!

Low mid, High Mid, Parametric eq, Graphic eq.....Bah!! Forget about all that digital modeling crap!

2. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    ...and for a somewhat pricey solution that probably wouldn't offend the acoustic contingent:

Acoustic Image Contra
    Single channel
    300W (40-16 kHz ±3 dB)
    10" downward, 5" forward
    12" H x 15" W x 13" D
    22 lb

ai_contra.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I know how you feel. I've been lugging my Nikon FM2 around for many a decade now, but, it's getting harder to do the film thing these days, and I would love to have a digital version of this camera. I almost pulled the trigger on a Nikon D7000, but talked myself out of it.

4. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Music and Arts are one in the same. I was forced to stop using my Nikon FM2 (the P&J Bass of the Photo World) because there was no longer a place to get the film developed. But now we have Smart Phones....and the Camera Business is in deep trouble.

Codger.....If you see this......Tell us MORE about that amp. Looks fascinating.

To ALL of You.....I TRULY appreciate you putting down your educated opinions and giving price tags, and being gentlemen while doing it. I could easily look up any of those things on Google....but this thread isn't about me......it's about those Younger than us. :)

5. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Why not a TCE BH250 head with a 1x10" 8ohms cab? It will be pretty small, can serve as a silent practice tool with aux-in + headphone out, and can also serve for medium gigs with a 2x12" 4ohms. Bigger than that you have the DI output to PA.

If you have an active bass, a Yamaha DXR8 (or DXR10) might be a good way to go and pretty small also. Can also serve as a PA.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    That's a great solution, and the 2 X 10 version is even nicer sounding and a lot more versatile to boot, albeit at a substantial size and weight compromise.

7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    When I can mount my 600mm mirror lens on my phone I'll think about it in something besides a snapshot context...

No question the best camera most of the time is the one you've got, and I've got a bunch of pictures on my phone I wouldn't have otherwise.

Fun thread, learning a lot...

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    ...now we have Smart Phones....and the Camera Business is in deep trouble.[/QUOTE]

Those are pretty much what put my custom black & white photo lab out of business. :(

9. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I use the little 2lb GK MB200 head, which is a bit of an investment at around $250, but gives you the versatility of pairing it with most any small 1X10 or 1x8 cab. It has no unnecessary extras, but does include a DI out, headphone out and aux-in jacks.

When I play with my folkie acoustic friends, I use a cheap Kustom 10" PA cab that I gutted and installed an Eminence 10" Legend BP102 speaker in. I like the PA cab because it can be tilted at 30 or 60 degrees, or used in the "normal" standing position. The MB200 can power two 8ohm cabs, so you can borrow, rent or buy more speaker cabs as you need them.

10. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    I have a G-K MB 150 that I've had a few years that comes in handy for acoustic work. Plus, I have the version (which I don't think they offer anymore) with the seperate head and cab. Nice on fly dates too when you need to carry a cab. I'd call it a classic.

http://www.uptonbass.com/GK-MB-150-Bass-Amplifier-Gallien-Krueger/

Dan

11. Four pages in one day! Pretty good. Walking into an acoustic setting or learning to play my take is no toys. You don't need to crippled when learning and in an acoustic setting the "wipe your butt and make you coffee" settings are useless and distracting. KISS, toys on an amp are not for me. But I learned to complement and add to the effort, not distract from it. I also learned technique over twisting dials. :)

12. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
  13. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
  14. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

B.......My Sincere Hope is that not only guys like me but "Young Adam" or "Young Molly" will take this printed out thread and be able to hand it to their folks and say....."Look at this, Guys! Here are a bunch of Professional and Polite People Telling YOU not to Buy me that Piece of Junk with all the Buzzers and Whistles that the Big Box Store says I'll Love. But if you'll pay for HALF, I'll Pay for the Other Half and we can get something better so it Becomes an Investment instead of a Total Waste. And, as an added Benefit I'll be Nice for Two Weeks AND Teach you that you Can't Actually Text Using a Rotary Phone!" :)

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Small combos have their place even after you've made it out of the bedroom and onto the stage.

For me, all those effects gizmos are just crap I'd never use and don't want to be paying for. I'd rather that money went into a nicer basic amp tone or using better components for reliability, or put towards a better speaker than what they put in little combos or something.

For the acoustic jams the OP is doing, I'd cruise pawnshops and craigslist and find an old Peavey Minx 110. Great sounding, straight forward simple and convenient little package that one is. Slight bigger and a wee bit fuller sounding is the old Basic 12, which is another good one.

16. Parents often think they are doing well by buying all those "neat" features for sure. Most don't realize what they are doing is giving their kids crutches to learn how to walk? Nothing is more satisfying than seeing someone say: "Wow look what I can do with just my hands!" :)

17. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    No bass amp will become an investment. Any new amp will depreciate when you walk out the door with it. To get an amp that won't depreciate significantly, you'll need to buy used, at a good price.

I would never buy more than a cheap used amp for a beginner. Show me some talent, and a lot of work, THEN you can get something better. The used market is awash with beginner-level amps, selling at a fraction of their new price. Often, the story in the ad is, "bought for kid... didn't use".

Yup, that'd be a good choice.

I think gadgetry adds sales appeal, but not just for parents; beginners are also dazzled by effects and modeling. To noobs, they may seem to add value, but they're more likely to be crutches, as you say, or a distraction.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    + a great big one.

19. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Because very few people would buy them.

You do realize you can set any 2-dial DSLR up to work like a fully manual film camera of old, right? Just leave the ISO at a fixed setting to emulate having a roll of film with a fixed ISO, and you can change shutter speed and aperture using the dials -- no menus needed! Heck you can even turn off autofocus, replace the viewfinder screen with a split-prism, and manual-focus to your heart's desire! All of the other settings you can set in advance and just leave them that way forever.