1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So...I Went on a Search for a SMALL Bass Amp and...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by R Briere, Oct 21, 2013.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've been playing through one of these for over a year. I practice through it outside on the deck regularly with various basses, use it for acoustic jams when I don't want to haul a bass amp. You really don't need a lot of volume to keep up with a couple of acoustic guitars so I'm really not pushing it.
    I've also used it a couple of times in a pinch for vocals in a basement jam with a full band and it held it's own. I also have a friend who has one and we've linked the two together and run a bass, two guitars and 4 microphones through them all at the same time. No problem whatsoever with them. It's a PA so it will handle bass as long as you don't go crazy. I do generally try to use a compressor pedal with it.
    Between myself, my buddy and his brother we have 3 of these units, as well as one 100 watt 4 speaker version. They all get tons of use and everyone who hears them thinks they sound amazing.

2. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    The only reason I would stay away from used stuff in this situation because there are features necessary for the gigging musician that not all older small combos have. The newer Peavey Max combos are pretty awesome with simple EQ and a DI out(this will keep a combo in the stable a lot longer than anything else) I would look for something with a tilt-back so you can use it as a monitor when you're playing bigger shows down the road. The only bell and whistle which I also think is pretty essential is the tuner/mute button, for $200-300 depending on what size speaker you want that's a pretty dependable combo that will last you a long time and fill many needs. or for $250 the Acoustic 260 mkII is a cool little stack. Definitely the mkII because of the DI out, but for $250 to get a little head you could use on other stuff and a 110 cab you'd be hard to find a head/cab setup for that price used. Really simple EQ that works. And if you needed something bigger, you can find an Acoustic B115 used all the time for $100.

These are not the lightest options out there but I think the Max 112 is 35 lbs which is no monster and the 260 head is 13 lbs so if you used it just as a DI to the PA that's not bad for the price point.

3. When we started out many of us had to rely on the used market. Our choices were dependant on what was available from day to day. You would buy the best you could afford and use it until something better came along. Hopefully by then more money would have accrued and you could buy it. This process just repeated over and over.

4. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I like used stuff, but for small stuff to have a lasting value a DI out is necessary in my opinion, if you can find used gear with that, go for it. Peavey/Acoustic new stuff isn't that expensive. Peavey used stuff is a steal and lasts forever...

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Buy once, cry once.

That is all.

6. Rich, nice to see your post. I haven't heard from you for a few years. I appreciate your comments and visited the Sunn Shack back when I had a Coliseum-300.

I have a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0/12T combo. At 36 pounds, it's quite portable, does anything I need including full performance volume with a second cab and 600W peak capability, and if I want low volumes, I simply turn it down. I don't need any of the foo-foo effects you mentioned in your O.P., although I could easily live with having a basic tuner built into an amp.

Anything else I want to do (such as effects), I can do with pedals I choose for myself.

7. pbonepickens

pbonepickens

Mar 4, 2013
    They should put a 'Splat' knob to the left of the High knob to give true symmetry to the EQ section. :D