1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I went out to buy a Squier VM jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cigi, Feb 27, 2008.

1. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    So I went out to buy a Squier VM jazz bass, but it was sold out.

I went to some other shop, but they also didn't have it in stock.

But it the last shop I saw something interesting.

It was a Yamaha bb g4a. I've never played one like that and it was within wy budget so I played it a littel while. It really blew me away. It was build solid as a rock. Quality components. Super solid bridge, gotoh tuners with d-tuner, 2 band pre amp, soapbar humbuckers, massive alder body with beautifull photoquilt top. I always concidered myself a "vintage" bass lover, but this one proved me wrong. I love it! It plays like a dream and sounds great!

It doenst imitate the classics, but it has its own great sounds.

This is my first yamaha bass and before this I never thought of buying one. They don't seem that popular around talkbass. Are there more people with experiences like me?

Here for some sound & vision.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

soundclips:

Bridge pu only with a little bass boost:

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb30809/Yammiebridge.mp3

Both pickups pre amp set flat:

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb30809/Yammieb+n.mp3

Neck pickup with pre set flat:

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb30809/Yammieneck.mp3

Both pu's pre set flat slap:

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb30809/Yammieslap.mp3

In the mix (chords are the bass bridge pu all bass cut treble full boost):

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb30809/yamamma.mp3

Greetz!

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Whenever anyone asks me what type of bass to get for a beginner, I ALWAYS tell them Yamaha. Their lower end stuff is really nice, and I think the BB414 and BB415 are fantastic intermediate instruments for low end price.

3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I like that a lot.

4. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Those are aftermarket pickups... I wonder what they are?

Oh ya,very nice bass... I have a similar one. They really sing.

5. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Are they aftermarket pickups?

I had no idea. They sound good to me, altough I have to admit I don't have a lot of experience with soapbars.

6. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa

Anytime (and it happens A LOT) I am asked for what kind of instrument to get for a beginner, I ALWAYS recommend Yamaha. The quality that you get for the price with a Yamaha is AMAZING, their quality control is second to none. Definitely the Toyota of instruments if you ask me, they may not be really flashy or super sporty, but they sure are reliable, and certainly well designed.

I can't say that I'm a fan of the fotoflame, but that's an awesome bass you've got there! Wear it proud!

7. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks, I will!

I'm not a fan of photoflame either, but it didn't have much choice :).

It looks good though, it had me fooled for a minute.

They are idd comparable to a Toyota. Not really fancy but very good and reliable.

I took the pickups out to look at them, but that didn't make me any wiser.

This is how they look

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody recognize these pu's?

Not a popular brand I know of. Maybe cheap copies, but I would find that strange because the origanals are not that bad.

This maybe explains why this one sounded much better than the passive 5 string bbg5 that was in the shop.

8. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
  9. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    That bass is a SOLID buy, it´s the best you can get for the price, i had the 5ér version of that exact same model, i sold it to get my Spector Legend 5ér because i needed a more agressive tone for my metal band, but i´m getting a 4 string like yours as soon as i can.

Congratulations on an EXCELENT buy, and you´re right...these axes don´t get much praise here on TB, frankly...i don´t know why.

10. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    Agreed, I remember when I went out to get my first midrange bass. Had my heart set on a Fender Jazz, but couldnt put down my BB614. I have a few more basses since but that one still gets the most playtime, my fave neck by far and MUCH better build and attention to detail than any other I own

11. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    what's not to love? I absolutely love that finish (looks a lot like mine :) )

12. Hmmm, nice fret work, nice rolled fretboard edges, must play real nice.

13. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I'm usually a Fender guy and have been impressed by the Squier VM's but I think you got a way better bass for the money. Congrats!

14. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    It plays great!

It plays better than my Tokai 82 jazz sound. I can get lower action on it without to much buzz. The Tokai also plays superb, but I have to put the action a little bit higher.

Idd the detail on these bass is unbelievable for this price. I haven't seen anything like it.

15. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Same here. I also love fender(y) basses. And I love the VM I normally was going to buy, but the quality of this instrument is far superior. With a VM a lot of people start modding right away. With this one that is not necessairy. Maybe one day a 3 band pre.

But for now I love it like it is.

Now that's true love ;)

:bassist:

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yamaha builds high quality basses. You got a good one ... but there's a booger on that one tuner.

17. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Yeah I poke my nose with d-tuners. Very effective and and it keeps other players away from detuning my basses.

18. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I just bought a BBG5 off of a fellow TBer. It plays like a dream, and what a great neck! It does have Bartolini 59 silent single coils in it, and some shielding has been added. The comments about them on the web said that they hum like a mofo, but the mods that went into this one make it the quietest bass I own. It sounds great and plays great, Yamaha has yet to dissapoint me.

I now own a BB415 and a BBG5.

19. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Congrats on your bbg5!

The bbg4a has soapbars with unusual dimensions, it will be hard to find aftermarket pu's for them. Allthough mine allready has aftermarket pu's I'm maybe going to experiment on this one. I've looked around and it seem that nordstrand signature pus would fit.

That would be cool!

:D

20. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    You'll definitely need to do some more sound clips if you go the Norstrand route. :)