So I went to Emporio Armani today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    ...I pick up a T shirt off a rack. Plain white T-shirt with "Emporio Armani" written on the front. Price? Get this:

$78 for a plain white T-shirt that advertises the place where it was bought!

I see a leather belt. Price: $128!!!

Frankly, I thought the Seinfeld episode where Jerry buys an expensive jacket was an exaggeration until I saw one with a $1,280 price tag.

I'm wearing a T-shirt and sweatpants that don't add up to $20, and it's an Eddie Bauer shirt.

Who are the people buying the Armani stuff? Who in their right mind would buy a $60 pair of socks, and do they have an ugly daughter they wanna marry off, 'cause I'll take her!
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya, fashion is lame. I think the most offensive thing I've seen was a pair of pre torn jeans for $150 at a skate shop. The levels of irony were astounding.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I walked into the Fodera shop today and get this, a plain ash maple four string bass was $4000, who in their right mind would pay $4000 for a plain ash maple four string when you could get an SX for $99.

After that I walked into a BMW dealership.......

Then, I walked into a Manhatten bar....

Then, I walked into a high end audio store....
  4. That's just absurd. Plain and simple. I could buy 2 whole outfits for that price.

And the ripped jeans thing, thats kinda dumb too. The great thing about ripped jeans is that every hole is supposed to have a story (or whatever).

But let em sell there stuff for that much, other people can pay out the ass for it, but you won't see me in a shirt like that.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Pretty and smart, watch out ladies!
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hell, most of the tshirts I wear were free from events I partook in, and/or from companies who like me :)
  7. IME the urban/skater/trendy clothes tend to be some of the more expensive stuff. The Dockers pants, GAP t-shirt and boxers I'm wearing right now don't add up to the price of some of the more popular jeans you see in stores.
  8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Yeah, but he's lying.

Unless there's a Fodera shop in Australia. Maybe it's Vinnie's cousin Louie.:p
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Vinnie's cousin, Donk.

brad cook
  10. Which way does a fool and his/her money go?

Mike ;)
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Most people that i know who wear armani do not buy it full price, they get it at cheap outlets.
  12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Las Vegas?
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ever been shopping on Rodeo Drive? I checked it out with my buddies a few years ago just to see if the stories of $60 socks, $150 belts, and $80 t-shirts were true. Ten seconds in the Polo store confirmed them all. It was fun looking around.

14. Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I guess I'm the only one so far that isn't disgusted by those prices. They're bad, but I understand the reason behind them.

I like to think that I dress spiffy, but I also work at Express. It's not nearly as expensive as Armani, but the clothes aren't cheap either. But even without my discount, I still wore their clothes.

Honestly, presentation is important. It's important to look sharp and dress in a manner that emits confidence and self-esteem.

HOWEVER: Looking sharp doesn't have to be as expensive as Armani. Everyone has their own style and preferences. Some people like wearing all Abercrombie and covering their entire bodies in "AF" logos. Personally, I like Express clothes because they are logo-free for the most part. As long as you dress in a presentable manner, you're fine.

It's all personal preference.
  15. I'm not disgusted at all. I can't see myself buying any clothes in that price bracket anytime soon though. I'm also into nice and logo-less clothes.
  16. My only problem with logo'ed clothes is that I'm not gonna pay to advertise for them. Thats one of the only instances that I can think of where companies charge to have themselves advertised.:scowl:
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen. I'm a jeans and tshirt kind of guy, but all my Jeans are Express. $40 a pair on sale (M42's -- did they get rid of the really light stone wash?)
  18. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    You know the old saying, "you get what you pay for"? You know it's not always true. But it's deeply rooted in some of us, and high price tags attract certain people.

It's actually a very smart, albeit cynical, marketing trick - you create yourself a new market by increased prices and a luxurious image (pseudo or authentic). You pay celebrities to wear your stuff for exposure. That, along with the price of the clothes partly makes them status symbols, partly attracts those who still think "you get what you pay for".

I believe that many times expensive fashion wear do have better quality than your average Joe type of clothes. I currently own one logo T-shirt, just like the Armani ones but by a Swedish designer, and the quality is nothing short of amazing. Though it's expensive as hell (I didn't pay for mine), and I don't really think it's worth paying full price for that kind of quality. But some people do.
  19. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Yes, that's called the "Cutty Sark" marketing, as the makers of the drink decided to "upmarket" their product by doing nothing to it but raise its price.:meh:
  20. When I lived in Brasil 15 years ago I paid $20 US for “Bee” T-shirts. They were so colorful. But when the average income was about $50 per month, they were only bought by the tourists or the most wealthy. My favorite was one that said

"Puxa! Que linda é nossa praia!" on the front and it showed the beach and lots of tropical fish in the water.

On the back all the fish were floating upside down with “X”s across their eyes and lots of trash floating in the water.

Brasilian environmentalism at it's best.