1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I went to Guitar Center today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MichaelScott, Nov 29, 2006.

1. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    And something really weird happened:

I wasn't impressed by anything. I didn't think anything sounded great. I didn't want to buy anything. And I fell in love with my own basses all over again.

Kinda crazy huh? I've actually been looking for an excuse to buy another bass but I couldn't justify it today.

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

just wait.... it'll hit soon. :D

but seriously, it's great to fall in love all over again with your gear. :bassist:

3. When I get hit by GAS i'll often go to the local guitar shop and play a bunch of stuff and 9/10 i'm so unimpressed i get my head on straight and walk out feeling much better. Most stuff is overpriced and not all that great - it's the occasional used piece that bags me sometimes.

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i'm in the same boat...
    went by my local gc today in northern va....looked at basses, midi controllers, mics, amps, acoustic bass guitars, fx....
    yawn. same dissapointing selection.
    gc generally blows.(not always)
    since gc and mars ran all the mom n pop shops out of business here
    selection is limited, not much variation.
    they're selling software that was two versions outdated as new!
    sad.

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

Loving your basses is great. I've only got one bass I really play, and am 16, thus most GC/music store experiences USUALLY leave me wanting SOMETHING... however, I play my school's basses at 7th period (Me & 2 other guys jam for an hour and get school credit... sweet!) every day for the past 2-3 months... playing the school's basses make me happier about EVERY aspect of my bass... the neck, the woods, the tone, the action, and especially the number of strings. A low B really is necessary for me.

6. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Yeah I think this summed it up. Most of the basses I was playing were in the $1,200-$1,600 range and I couldn't believe how... well... bad they were.

7. LosingToApathy

LosingToApathy

Nov 24, 2006
    I know exactly how you feel. I really don't like new bass's. There's some great companies out there with good products, I just don't like playing new stuff.

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I go to GC now and then, and almost always, I've got better basses in my collection than they have in stock.

Then again, the GCs near me apparently have a pretty poor selection -- I've heard people here posting about a number of really desirable basses that they played at their local GCs.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Guitar Center & Sam Ash =
    34581_large.

10. only thing I've ever bought at GC was an amp...i've only been to 2, and each time I've been underwhelmed by quality, or overwhelmed by price (being a self-funded student)