Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I went to Guitar Center yesterday...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eyescream, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have about a 2 hour gap in my classes around lunchtime. Usually my friend Jamie (bassist/lead singer for a death metal band named Brodequin) and I go to a bar that's close and shoot pool and drink beer until our afternoon classes start, but this past Tuesday we were feeling dangerous, so we went to Guitar Center to poke fun at things (and he wanted to look at rack cases, but that's not the point either).

Whilst goofing off, we went into the acoustic room where they keep the uprights and resonator guitars and acoustics and things, and played in there.

Inside the tiny little classical guitar closet, we spied hanging WAY up high a Ramirez classical guitar that was priced at $6500±, and, of course, we just HAD to play this thing to see what playing a $6500 classical guitar would feel and sound like. So after about 15 minutes of A/Bing it against a $150 used Fender acoustic with brodequin, cannibal corpse, acid bath, and muddy waters songs, we decided that a $6500± classical guitar sounds and feels and plays basically the exact same as some used mass production Fender.

Go figure.

I guess my point is that expensive, I'm learning, doesn't exactly mean better.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Way to make a bad generalization. :rolleyes:

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    A lot of people think all wine tastes the same. IMO there is a huge difference between a $10 wine and a $50 wine. Whilst the difference between a $50 wine and a $150 wine is not as huge, it is noticable to the trained palate.

Then again, some wines just arn't made for the unrefined palate.

Just a thought.... ;)

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh, I'll be the first to admit that my ears probably aren't up to par with whatever the special little nuances of this guitar's tonal qualities are; no doubt there. :)

Given all that, I'd appreciate it if someone were to explain to me what I'm missing.

A friend of mine that plays classical guitar compared it in car geek terms for me like this: The people that will buy that $6,000 Ramirez are the same kind of people that will buy a 20 year old Porsche that's a pain to keep up and runs 14's. They're not buying it so much because it's the best, baddest thing in the world as they're buying it because... well, it's a Porsche(Ramirez)!

And that makes sense, I guess.

edit: I think I should mention that I'm not a fan of wine, either. ;)

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Way to take this post just a wee little bit more seriously than I intended it to be taken. I'll admit it's partially my fault for not clearly labeling it as such; but please, dry your eyes.

:)

6. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    it's all about marginal utility. the margin of utility that one person get's from that guitar may be worth 5000 dollars.....where others it won't be. the price is also directly related to the cost of materials and labor (unless you're getting ripped off. combine these two factors and you have your answere. ;)

7. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    That's funny. I went there for lunch today. I'm in the market for a new acoustic electric myself. I had my eye on an Ovation USA S771 that was listed at 649.00. Just out of curiosity, I tried a 3600.00 Taylor acoustic. The Taylor had a very slight warmer fuller sound, but I don't know if it was worth the 3000 dollars extra. I'm sure to the trained ear though, the Taylor sounds like Pavorati and the Ovation sounds like squalling cats... It's all in what makes you happy. Writing a check for 649.00 makes me happier than one for 3600.00 Still though, if they were to offer me either one for free, I'd take the Taylor!

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ok well when I play my crappy Takamine acoustic ($150) it gets a tone, not a particularly good tone but a tone.

When I went to Lakeland Music today (no GC in Jackson) and I played a Gibson acoustic ($1600) it had great tone and if was I better at guitar and had 1600 bucks it would went home with me. Even though they are similar in size and construction, the tone and playability absolutely killed my cheap Takamine.

The point is, hand that same Fender and the 6500 dollar Alverez to a classically trained guitarist and I guarantee you will hear some difference.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I need a classically trained guitarist, a scalpel, and a monkey.

We'll get to the bottom of this, damnit. :D

Also: I agree there probably is a huge difference, but it sounded the same.

Maybe if i played faster on it like a mariachi and wore a big hat. ;)

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Big hats always make you play any instrument better. :D

11. 'So this classical guitar player from the conservatory and I went to Sam Ash and we saw all these electric guitars. So my buddy picks out this $4000 Les Paul Reissue and he plays this really killer Segovia bit, and then a/b's it against a $100 used Ibanez. We didn't even bother to plug it in- they both sounded like azz and felt like a lacquered baseball bat!!! There's no difference!!!'

'So, like this dude I smoke pot with went to this fancy pants music store and played this standup bass (but we got really baked first!). It was cool. Then we played another one that cost as much a frickin' pound of pot. That one was cool. Then we ate some Doritos and ate some Apple Jacks out of the box. What was I saying?'

There are people who believe a $199 Agile Les Paul copy is exactly the same as a $5000 '59 Reissue Les Paul, just a different name on the headstock.

There are people who like and value things that you may not know or care about.

Smile.

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    There is a used Hartke VX 4x10 at my local Guitar Center...they price tag reads $749....

But there is also a used MusicMan Black Onyx Sterling for $789.

Go figure.

~Patrick

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't even want to know how much a pound of pot would cost, dude. Next time you could just say it was expensive.

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    To an acoustic player, the difference will be as evident as the difference you would notice between a Lotus P-copy and a Sadowsky. Ramirez are hand-crafted, and at $6500 (I'm guessing it was an R2 at that price), are not all that distant from the bottom of the barrel of true classicals.
    BTW - if you do go in and play it in a faster mariachi-style wearing a big hat, it will only sound worse. They use Flamenco guitars, not Classicals. :D

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Dang It :D

But I already ordered the hat, will it make me play bass or piano better?

16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Nah, just makes nachos and Corona a hell of a lot tastier!

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sweet! :D

Anybody want to give me 1600 bucks :D . I will post pics and clips of ultra-short scale acoustic six string bass with high E asap!

I will record it against my Takamine and then the differences between cheap acoustic and high quality acoustic will abound.

18. I don't have the $1600 handy, but I think I could front you a bag of nachos and a Corona (if you're legal, that is :D ).

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'll pass on the liquid courage, in the past bad things have happened. :eek: :D

But send those nachos my way, it sucks being broke going to college.

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

About 12 years ago I owned a "classic" Gibson Hummingbird(1966). I thought that guitar was "it". One day I went into a guitar store to look at stuff and get strings and saw on a rack: "Martin Guitar of the month". I asked to, and was allowed to play it. WOWEEWOWWOWWOW! "Do they (the new Martins) all sound like this? I asked the guitar store dude. "Yeah, pretty much". He said.

I went home made a few calls got the Hummingbird sold. It was a dog comparatively to the Martin. I don't miss the Gibson at all. The Martin cost $1,400.00.

Yeah, there can be a difference. depends on what'cher lookin' for. Ya'knowhatImeanthere?