1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I went to the biggest music shop in the region

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morf, Mar 31, 2006.

1. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    And what great fun it was! Tried tons of basses, a Rick 4003, a MM Bongo, a US Fender Jazz Deluxe, a MM Sub (5 strings), a warwick thumb (thought those were huge but they're so small!), and last but not least, a Zon Legacy Elite.

I wont get into details as I didnt play them for very long and only on a crappy Hartke amp, but if I were to buy one of these it'd definately be the Zon. Rick second and Bongo third. The tone and feel on these basses are just incredible. Today was a great day for sure :D

2. Congratulations on what sounds like a really good day. I agree that it is fun going to a good bass shop and trying out all the goodies that you might not be able to buy but still want to try.

I do the same thing when I go to London [The Gallery and Bass Centre].

Regards

Matthew

3. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    You couldn't be more right about 'cant buy'. Just looking at those prices made me sick: 1700 euros for the rick, 2600 euros for the legacy elite, 2200 for the bongo...

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Zon's are incredible basses. I had a Legacy Standard 6 for a while, and it just killed.

5. out of curiosity, how much was the Thumb Bass there? Was it NT or bolt on?

6. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Yeah, those Legacy are really something, that fretboard and playability, and that depth are to die for. I really need to get me one of those someday ;)

The Thumb was a bolt-on 4 strings with gold hardware, it was over 2000 (used, same for the rick it was a used one also, the others were new), couldn't give you an exact number. It's the bass that surprised me the most though, really an amazing little bass with killer tone and great playability. Fun stuff :D

7. Must have something to do with that big mass of water between our continents......:smug:

8. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Tell me about it :rolleyes:

9. rashbeep

rashbeep Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    i to went to a failrly large music store... didnt have enough time there, so i just tried a thumb. i must say the body on those basses are soooooo small. it was bolt-on and went for about $1700 Canadian. I fiddled with the controls a little bit, but never found the really "growly" tone that Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne has... whats the deal?

10. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Effects, or amp sound signature maybe? I didnt play the one I played long enough to mess around much with the settings, just a bit at the beginning to get a warm, deep tone and that was it. Fun little basses to play tho, those Bolt-on Thumbs.

11. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I live is South Africa and of late have been having little issue in finding decent prices for basses. If I had the spare cash I could pick up a thumb BO for around US$ 1500.

I also used to think that I got screwed on the equipment side (think the amplification side I do) but as far as basses go I have been very pleasently surprised, plus knowing the guys at the one store does help a bit too.

Otherwise, sounds like you had fun, We don't get those "mega-stores" on this side, so its pretty much limited to what is in store at that point in time.