So, I went to the WAR website...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Flatwound, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    White Aryan Resistance. Their leader, Tom Metzger, lives uncomfortably close to me, and I occasionally like to check on the fringe elements. These guys are Fringe with a capital F. How can people who think they are superior based on their skin color exist in the USA in the 21st Century? I read a few of their articles, and the amount of pseudo-science and self-delusion is astonishing.

They have adopted the term "racist" as their own and are proud of it. They claim to be White Separatists, i.e., they want to just hang out with white folks, which sounds OK at first - I think people can hang out with whoever they want - but their true agenda becomes clear when you look around the site a little. They just hate everybody who's not exactly like them. And I mean hate . They have racist cartoons that should leave noone unoffended, they use every racial epithet they can think of, and they think white folks should get all the good stuff because they're "superior".

I would hope that musicians at least would see through this: Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Victor Wooten, Dizzy Gillespie, John Coltrane, etc. inferior? Please. Even listing examples such as these is ludicrous since the evidence is so clear. I am a white guy living in a black neighborhood. I have good neighbors. Not because they're black, because they're good neighbors. When you get to know a person, you tend to forget, or at least not really notice whether he's black, white, oriental, tall, short, fat, skinny or whatever.

Here in So. Cal. we have everybody. We have black Americans in every shade, including Africans (large Somali community, quite a few Ethiopians) fresh off the boat. We have Russians, Filipinos, Mexicans (duh), Vietnamese, Cambodians, various Middle Easterners (I personally know Iraqis, Chaldeans, Iranians, Jordanians and Syrians), Chinese, Japanese, Korean, you name it. One thing that's really cool is that you can get authentic food from everywhere here. Forget Taco Bell, man! In recent history, I've had Lamb Kabab, Pancit, Dinuguan (oh my), Lumpia, refried beans that taste good, Carne Asada, Foul Nabed (it's not really foul), Kimchi, hamburgers and hot dogs (hey, I'm an American!), various concoctions that involve lots of chili peppers, Chicken Shawarma, and lots of other stuff. No wonder I'm fat.

So, the WAR people would like me to live in some little isolated community of white folks who have no other cultural influences but hate every outsider. Sorry, I guess I'll continue to be what they call a "race traitor" and get to know people on the basis of their humanity and who they are rather than skin color, national origin or whatever.
  2. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    i agree man.. racism sucks..
    My grandpa is a racist, and i dont like it.
    I can tell you, i do love Mexican Food, specially down in San Antonio, some place on the river walk i went to has really great food! Ive only had middle eastern food once at my sisters wedding. It was indian chicken and rice. Good, but pretty spicey.
    I also hate it when people steriotype a certian race. Like people steriotype black people to like "rap music".. or whatnot, yeah alot do but hey I have black friends who listen to Dead Kennedys and Descendents.
    Shoonk said something really funny about steriotypes one time. Shes a very cool kid! :D
    What about the Toasters?? If im not mistake some of them are African American, They totally rock at the instruments and they rock my world as well.

okay. nvm.. anyway..

Yes good points man!
  3. I read an interview with Gerorge Burdi, he was the former figurehead for the Neo-Nazi/White Supremecy movement for most of the 1990's. He founded Resistance Records, a label for Neo-Nazi bands, such as Skrewdriver, One Best Crew, and Brutal Attack. He got imprisoned for assaulting an anti-racism activist. (though he maintains his innocence, he was convicted by an All-white jury)

His time in jail made him rethink his philosophy. He was never truly racist against any group, he just believed that people of different races could not, and therefore should not, get along. However, after spending sometime in the slammer he's reformed, married an East Indian wife, and plays with a multi-cultural band. He was very intelligent, and admitted that even when he was involved in Neo-Nazism he felt that much of the hatespeak was extreme, unnecessary and boorish.

I find it kind of inspiring to know that people in these movements are not beyond saving. I'm sure there are many people who have had very bad childhoods and thus resort to this kind of thing. Or people who are just very alienated. I would like to think its possible to show people they don't have to hate. Still, its sad and infuriating that people actually participate in those groups, and more than a little discouraging.

I'm more than a little disturbed at their existence in America (or anywhere for that matter), but they're too angry and unorganized(at least for now) to ever gain any real political, social, or economical clout. Still, they are pretty scary.
  4. For Foxy Grandpa:

Bad Brains:All African-American hardcore, rocks harder than ANY other band.....EVER

And the Drummer for DK was black.
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

These Supremacists groups thrive more (I think) on the notariety of being whacked out, than they are probably whacked out. That Doesn't mean we shouldn't take their delusional concepts seriously.

I react to the reports and interviews with these hate groups with derision. Hating and wishing destruction on others because they themselves can't function in society.

Life is short. I can't even take such "group-illogic" seriously, but we have to.
  6. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I did a search for their site on google after seeing this thread, and I was shocked at what they are preaching, and those cartoons were, theres no word to describe how bad they were..

I think these people were outcasts as children. They were probably abused by their parents, or molested, or both, and they feel since they cant fit in or function properly in society they have to join a group and hate other people to make themselves feel good.

They are simply nothing but bullies. They have to feel as if they are a part of something and must have a purpose to feel accepted.
  7. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...

Oh yessssssss.. =D not a big bad brains fan..well haven't heard a whole lot of stuff by them. I prolly need to go buy an album. =D
    Forgot about the drummer from DK too, he is a very rad drummer. (thinking of I fought the law and i one, Take this job and shove it, terminal preppy)
    very nice chops indeed. =D
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ignorance is an easy choice for some. Our job is to make it difficult.

While knowing your enemies is important, I don't endorse providing their website with additional hits, providing an inflated self-image.
  9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, that's kind of why I didn't post a link. Anybody who wants to look can, but if you don't have a strong stomach, don't look. Still, I think that people should know how virulent these guys are. I think they're of the opinion that the Klan doesn't take strong enough positions.
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's a very sad thing that humans feel the need to hate each other because of different skin color, or because one person's God is better than the other person's God, or because someone else has more resources. It's also sad that with our scientific knowledge that we use a lot of it to built weapons and machines to destroy one another.

I also consider anyone who spreads pure hatred messages with an instrument, NOT A MUSICIAN. Music is a sacred art that should be used to express happiness, sorrow, love, fear, desire, anger (which is not the same as hate), change ect. I would never taint one of my instruments by using it for expression of hatred.

Funny how most racist are hypocrites.