1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, If I don't play a Precision, I'm not a real bass player?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Reading other threads spurred this. Many people seem to think that a Precision bass is the end all answer. Fits any genre, any gig. If you have one bass it should be a Precision. If you don't have one, get one at all costs. Some are partially sarcastic, but many seem real.

Are we still at this point? With all the different kinds of basses available to us, we still feel that it's a P bass or you're not worth my time?

I mean, I suppose I could get one and I'd get used to it after a while. I mean, after all, all the great recordings were made with one.

Why did anyone bother building anything else?

2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Haven't those other threads proven that this topic is going down a rabbit hole? Play what you want, critics be damned!

3. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    P basses are not my favorite bass, and I did not own one for the first 35 years of my playing career. But, I do like having one, and there are times when it can be perfect. Can be good in the studio where some engineers like them (they know what they are going to get). Also good for certain genres, and perhaps certain types of gigs. More of a jazz bass guy here, by nature. The P has its place.

I do wish you luck in getting somebody riled up, though.

MattZilla, rtav, rmayer and 15 others like this.
  4. None of the four thousand other brands of bass that you can buy have been used on a recording...ever.

5. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC

That is a very unusual question sir.

Ballin'bass and mgauge like this.
  6. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    You can be a "real" bass player with any bass. A P bass is a useful tool but not for everyone. That's why there's so many other kinds available. No players sound exactly the same playing the same bass. You're on your own.

MCF, Sartori and Ballin'bass like this.
  7. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Bass ZenG.... do your chosen instrument and profile name intentionally combine to form a dog breed pun?

I didn't think so. That's just the way my mind works, unfortunately.

That aside, As long as we are careening in this territory with no good to come of it, I'll say that a jazz bass is twice as good as a P bass, because it has twice as many pickups.

8. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    :bassist:Lets see I started on a cheap Ibanez and sold/traded it weeks later for an acoustic Fender made in China and still own it. A few weeks later I bought a MIA Fender Elite Precision. So all you anti-precision people can go bite me and others like me!:hyper:

MrWolf14 and mgauge like this.
  9. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Jack Bruce, Trevor Bolder, Ronnie Lane, Peter Quaife, John Entwistle, Andy Fraser, some bloke called Paul from Liverpool and a host of others might demur...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  10. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Keith Richards played a p bass. Just saying.

11. genner.

MCF, Teijo K., Sartori and 9 others like this.
  12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    People say all kinds of dumb stuff on the Internet. (P.S. My #1 bass happens to be a P.)

Eric66, jaybones, rtav and 3 others like this.
  13. If you are looking to do a lot of fill-in and/or studio work, it's hard to get away with not having a PBass. For lots of people it's what electric bass sounds like. I have an old '76 P that I didn't think sounded particularly great that ended up getting a lot of face time by request. During that time my bass of preference was my '99 Stingray 5. Honestly, most people were fine with me playing whatever I wanted, but I would definitely get requests for the P.

I had the P upgraded with a Bill Lawrence pickup and slapped some GHS flats on it recently, and it instantly became my #1. I love the way it plays and sounds, the character it has, and the way that it sits in a mix. My wife even said that it sounds "richer" than any of my other basses. It works great for all of my projects. I'm sure that lots of other players have had the same epiphany as I have. It doesn't make it the be all/end all of bass sounds. I still have the Stingray for gigs where I need a B string and a more up front tone.

Play what makes you happy and what you think sounds good. You're way better off doing that than chasing someone else's musical ideal.

14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
  15. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
  16. I think if you like 60 and 70' era you need a P bass.
    Im guitar player , play a lot pf Shadows and Ventures stuff,my first bass was a J Bass, love the bass, but never sounded like a P.
    Purchased a Hofner cause Sir Paul is my Hero and play a lot of his tunes, but still needed something, tried with a Ric, no works, a SG no, finally purchased my first P BASS 3 days ago all maple with the help pf the TB friends, and now can say im complete LOL.
    Hace my 3 favorite Bass tone in the stable.
    Waiting for my LaBellas FS next week drool

17. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9aChmzMgOR15dxEJ4vU6qYy8qaSgl9QSmXo_mj_xEEfcHyjv3.

12BitSlab, foolforthecity and JRA like this.
  18. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Playing a P is very important, but if you want REAL bass player cred on Talkbass the tort and flats are even more important.

TB will forgive you for playing a Jazz, Jaguar or even a Musicman and maybe a G&L on some days, but if you ain't got the tort and flats you are just a wannabe.

edit.... oh and Sire. Sire owners are ok. They exceed expectations actually. Have you tried one? You should.

19. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    I've never heard you play, so I don't know if you're a "real bass player", Precision bass or not.:p

20. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Some of it's sarcastic, just a joke. Some of it's gear snobbery effectively. You'll find people like that in any group.

A P just works well in general and is a minimalist bass. Not much to tweak to get a good sound. I can see their appeal.

+6dB Dan, Herrick and JRA like this.