1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

so if I have a bright sounding P bass what strings should I get to fatten up the lows and mids

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tajue17, Feb 15, 2017.

1. I have a G&L LB100 with empress body, known for sounding piano like I guess but seems much brighter than my P bass best I can describe is it sounds like it has light strings compared to a bass having medium heavys,, I have been backing off the tone a bit and its working but its almost time for new strings..

now a few people told me to don't change strings at all just let them die a little and the sound will settle in, others have said to get nickel 1/2 wounds..

wondering what folks here think.

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    here's a useful psa for you
    for my g&ls i use dunlop nickel plated rounds (not the superbrights)
    they get really dark sounding when the zing leaves them

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What do you have on it now?

4. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    Boomers baby! And the suggestion of the regular Dunlop nickels is in line with what I've heard about them being darker but I've never used them. Pressurewounds would probably work well. I do not like any 1/2 rounds but that just my opinion.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  5. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    What strings are you using now?

Yes, you should probably let them age awhile and see if you like it.

Otherwise, some strings I like with fat tone:

Dunlop Superbrights (don't be fooled by the name. and they age very well)

Dean Markley Blue Steels nickel plated version.

Rotosound nickel plated strings

Fodera Stainless Steel strings (probably the most nickel sounding steels on the market)

6. Highly recommend trying GHS Pressurwounds. Deep, tight lows, punchy mids and no zing up top. They are a great match for any P bass.
    If it's too bright just roll the tone off a little bit more.

7. I'm pretty sure I have DR Nickels on it now,,, I will check out those Dunlop nickels and pressure wounds.

8. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    If you don't want flats, DR Sunbeams might work for you after a week or two of playing on them a bunch.

petrus61, joebar and Lowbrow like this.
  9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Flats. </thread>

Goatrope, amphlett7 and mbell75 like this.
  10. ThumbBum

ThumbBum

Dec 16, 2016
    D adario nickel rounds are you best best. Kind of expensive but you get what you pay for.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Stainless rounds, hex core nickel rounds, round core nickel wounds, pressure wounds, old round wounds, flats - pretty much the order of zing to flat. Move to the right for less zing, to the left for more.

12. Assuming the OP is talking about the Nickel Lo-Riders, both the Sunbeams and the D'A XL Nickels are brighter.

GHS Boomers are a better option for the fat low-mid punch.

13. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
  14. pablop

pablop Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Los Angeles CA
    Other than a string change you might want to look into the Sadowsky DI box, outboard preamp with two way EQ.
    It works wonders on tone

15. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Personally I use DR Nickel Lo-Riders because I find them very "warm" and "fat" sounding rounds, after they've broken in a bit of course (which I find happens pretty quickly). How old are they?
    Otherwise, what do you have on your other P that sounds beefier to you? Slap some of those on the G&L and see how it sounds for comparison. No reason you can't get that LB100 to sound phat! Might wanna think about some flats too. If you've never used 'em you might be surprised. Some Labellas on that LB100 could be sweet . . .

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    A tort pickguatd will darken the tone nicely. Especially with flats.

CapM and b/o 402 like this.
  17. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    just put a set on my fender P fretless and they are perfect for it.

these IME die off into a horrible dead tone.

no one mentioned DR Pure Blues.
    I have them on a G&L bass and I love them-think sunbeams but punchier and feel fantastic.

Mediocrity Man likes this.
  18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'd give GHS nickel Boomers a try, or some broken in Sunbeams as someone else mentioned. Boomers have a very strong fundamental and are fairly thumpy for a roundwound, IMO.

Linnin likes this.
  19. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    A higher value tone cap is prob cheaper than a new set of strings. If my bass was too bright, I'd start with the tone cap first....then I'd move to string choice. Note....that a higher value tone cap all the open will still be same as what you have now. The only difference is it will allow the bass to have more treble roll off when turning the knob ccw. Make sense?

20. And my opinion too.
    If you don't want rounds, GHS Pressurewounds are your string.
    If you do want rounds then ...
    Allow me to recommend GHS Bass Boomers ;) Now available in both hex core and round core :cool:

Arthur U. Poon likes this.