1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, if I were to mod a Warwick...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mjolnir, Sep 5, 2008.

1. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I have me a Warwick Corvette Standard Fretless I want to spice up a little bit. I've already put in some Fender jazz pups and one of Stan Hinesley's Bass Varitones into it, and though I love the tone of the pups I'm not too thrilled with how the Varitone is working out. Don't get me wrong, I love it in my other basses, but for the fretless it just doesn't blow my skirt up.

So I had an idea, and I wanted to see what TB at large had to say about it:

Stick in a couple of stacked pots and do a '62 Fender jazz configuration, then on top of that put in a passive midrange scoop control where the regular tone pot would be.

What do y'all think? Too much? Not enough?

2. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Bump

3. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Oh, and say for instance because of the fact that I'm getting bigger into slap stuff and dig the fretless slap tone I wanted to do this:

wickpupcover.

...Would that just be blasphemy?

4. brivello

brivello

Jun 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Why not just get a fender? that seems to be what your after.

5. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Hehe... Never thought of it that way 'till now... I'd say you're right if I didn't like the look of the Corvettes so much.

That, and Fender doesn't make wenge/bubinga basses. :D That's a tone you just can't beat, good sir.

6. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick, Mesa Boogie, Joyo, Dr. J, Levy's Leathers
    I have absolutely not one friggin clue how having that obstacle over the bridge pickup does anything except HINDER one's ability to slap on a bass. I've never understood the idea if that thing.

You should switch out your pickups to an EMG J Set and call it a day. :)

7. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    :D

I used to think the same way, but now I have pup covers on all my basses except my 'Wick. I dunno, it just feels more comfortable to me... I use it as a guide for my hand much like Marcus Miller does.

I've never actually heard the EMG J set before... What are they like?

8. Nothing wrong with adding Fender elements to a Warwick... I like the idea of the stacked jazz controls. Sort of like on a Fortress Masterman or Streamer Pro M. Cool!

9. It's your bass man do whatever floats your boat :)
    As a HUGE fan or warwicks the PuP cover looks horribly out of place .. BUT having said that it is yours to customize.
    I TOTALLY agree with the EMG-J X2 though... that would give you more of what you want. (thumpy, clear, and crisp)
    I LOVE the way my wicks play and sound, some may not.. but they have a unique sound and I'm happy with the MEC's already installed.. but none of mine are fretless either.

10. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My roommate (a very accomplished drummer and budding bassist himself) agrees with you on the pup cover, says it's some sort of heresy to do such a thing to what he thinks is a bass too beautiful to start punching more screw holes into. But, as you said, it's my bass, and it's what I'm comfortable with. If anything it'll get other bassists scratching their heads going, "What the hell?..." every time I show it in public. :D

Hmmmm... I guess the EMG's are something I'm going to have to look into. Generally as a rule I'm not a fan of EMG pups, but to be fair the only ones I've really test driven enough to get an educated opinion on are a few of their g****r pups...

11. I think it works. Does this bass have a wenge neck? I often GAS for a wenge-necked(nekkid?)fretless 4 to complement my 98 FNA.

Edit: On EMGs, I have an old defretted Hohnberger w/Selects & it sounds very nice- almost uncontrollable mwah.

12. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yessir, it's the wenge/bubinga slab from Hell, speaking purely from a weight standpoint, but the tone is absolutely to die for.

13. When you've dislocated your shoulder picking it up for the third time & want to throw it through a wall, let me know. ;)
    +7-8 on the tone. :cool:

14. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    :D I'm used to it. Believe it or not, my 'Wick actually isn't my heaviest bass, I have a single coil P slab that has a good 2 or 3 pounds on it, and it's a short scale! :bawl:

15. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    ...So, all the parts are ordered. I just need to wait for the electronics to come in, but in the meantime the cover and strap locks came in, so I installed those during lunch at work:

wick1.

I know the knobs look a little ridiculous... I ran out of a matching set that would fit the shafts on both the CTS pots and the stock blend pot that's in there (the stock pot shaft is smaller).

16. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, you should go the extra step and put a cover on the back pickup...talk about bling bling :bag:

17. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    :D Nah, the back ones just make my right hand feel stupid.

I actually don't know whether I like the look of it or not, but after playing on it for a few minutes I'm absolutely convinced it's not going anywhere. It just feels so much more comfortable to me now, don't ask me why...

I put back in the stock pups and decided I liked those better too. I'm interested to hear how they perform with the independent tone controls...

18. I think a back cover would look excellent! give it a go, or photoshop it just to please me!

19. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Dunno... Just eyeballing it, I don't think it would work. The 'Wick bridge just takes up so much more space than a Fender one... Here's the photoshop:

275518copy.

I have a real back cover in my toolbox at home I can set on the 'Wick when I get off of work.

20. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i use EMG J set on my Warwick Corvette 4 string fretted.

Sound aggressive. Good low and crisp high like someone said. Again some may like it and some may not.