Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I'm a Converted Man...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Sep 17, 2005.

1. ...Today, in the same shop that I found love with a six string in, I found that same love again. This time with an Ibanez Prestige.

My name is Ryan, and I'm a bass-aholic. I can't stop playing new basses, or getting enough playing time in on my favorites. When I come home to my bass, I just look at it and curse it's name. "#@%$ you, why can't you be what I really want?" I say... Wait, that's gotta be another forum, right?

Anyway, So I played an Ibanez Prestige today. Not 100% sure of the model, but I think it's an SR1000 series 4 stringer. Absolutely beautiful. The body is just stunning, and so close to a custom luthiered bass, that my jaw dropped. The body is very contoured, ultra light, and very very very comfortable. The neck was so fast, that I quickly fell victim to fatigue of the left wrist. The electronics package, set to flat, was amazing, absolutely stunning. Beautiful contoured Bartolini pickup covers. That preamp was perfection in my mind. I havn't played a more beautiful, or better bass ever. Slap, Jazz, and anything in between or outside the two, can sound perfect on this thing.

All for $930.

I used to puke thinking of buying a Prestige Ibanez over say, a Warwick or a (European) Spector. But now, I think the opposite. The Prestige easily leaves the 'Wick and the (European) Spectors in the dust... So far in the dust, that it has actually settled back down to the ground, and all trace of the Ibanez has been lost.

I am in love, and it's very unhealthy. Mainly, because I have no money. However, I am now happy. I now have a bass to save up for. I now know what I want, and what will make me happy. If there is anything better than intercourse, I have found it... And it's always ready to go too.

~Ryan

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    IT sounds like that Ibanez really impressed you. Go for it.

3. Thas what I've been saying, Ibanez basses over $500 are worth every penny.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm not too sure about that, I've palyed some impressive sub $500 Ibby's too :)

I'm itching even worse for an SR506 now.

5. Ha, I guess playing new awesome Ib. is a new trend. I played a 5 string today, no idea on the model, but it was AWESOME! The neck was insanely fast and smooth, the body super light, I want to say it was a Mohagany, everything balanced to perfection, awesome sounding Barts, and the bolt on neck joint was almost non-existent. If I had more then had the $600 to buy it, I probably would have, but unfortunately I only have $350ish... Yay Ibanez

6. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    Well, I too fell in love with an Ibanez today. This was quite unexpected. I went to a local music shop that always has nice basses on hand because I wanted to compare the Mike Lull's to the Sadowsky's to the Custom Shop Fender's and see the difference. Well that was fun for a while and then for the heck of it I picked up the $400 Ibanez SRX500 bass. I only picked it up because I heard Carol Kaye was playing the SRX 700 and thought I'd give it a try. I couldn't believe how much I liked this bass. I liked this bass more than any of the other basses I played in that store today (yes better than the Lull, the Sadowsky, the US Jazz, and the F-bass). I just couldn't believe it. I'm going back to buy that bass on Tuesday, I don't even know why I left the music shop without it. I think this is why it's so important to play an instrument before you buy it.

7. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Hey, is the prestige you are in love with the EFM? With the flame maple top and Barts? I have an oppertunity to get an SR1006 pretty cheap, but I can't find any reviews on it.

I tried to gig my SR406 again tonight and it sounded O.K. The low notes sounded pretty good, but anything above G on the D string started to sound really choked and compresed. It took some work to get the B string to bark as well. Poor thing. :crying: It was back to the ol' Lull by the third set.

If I dive into the 1006 this week I'll post some poop about it and snap some photos. Does anyone know anything about these?

8. If you don't like it, you can always sell it to me.. :) Never seen any used ones 'round here..

9. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    did you look at those because of mine? Or because you've wanted to try them for a while?

I should be responsible for this new love of your's, but I'll let Ibanez and their down right sexy basses take the blame.

Greg

10. I played the same bass last week. It was nice but the bridge pickup was too close to the bridge for my tastes and for some reason I couldn't get comfortable playing it while sitting down. The construction and look was impressive though.

11. Actually, I've wanted to get ahold of one of these beasts for quite some time now. However, all this talk of purchasing new ibanez basses amongst you fellow TBers of mine, well, that didn't help surpress that urge one bit =).\

Anyhow, I should think that I will make this my next bass, it's something I am actually so happy to play again in the future that I look very foward to it! I just need a new job so I can start saving up the money.

~Ryan