so... I'm buying a guitar...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Feb 12, 2006.

1. A Epiphone Firebird to be exact. Does anybody have one or know someone who does? What do you think of it? I just have a fetish for that shape I guess...

2. the strings are to thin. its all in what YOU like. enjoy your new toy.
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I agree w/ Mike, it's all about what you like. Johnny Winter used to just tear up a Gibson model, I don't know how much your into blues or how before your time he is. I play a couple of his songs on Guitar. You should check him out if you haven't.
    If your looking for a popularity contest, Les Paul and SG are going to win. I have a Les Paul (Gibson), the SG is like driving a truck to me.
    My main 2 are PRS's.
    Get what makes you happy. I never asked for an opinion before I got my Guitars. As a matter of fact, I brought home one of my PRS's and my friend said he liked my mexican Strat better. I felt like hitting him over the head w/ the mexican Strat.:mad:
  4. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I'd recommend either an Epiphone Les Paul, Explorer, or V.

That shape is explorer-ish. But I've heard it's garbage.
  5. The actual guitar is garbage? or the shape? I have already played it at guitar center so I know what I think of it. Well obviously I liked it because I'm going to buy it.
  6. i have a friend whose been playing guitar since he was about 5 (disturbing image), he has a 60's reissue strat, he's played countless #'s of strats and he favors the firebird above most of them. he thinks theyre great, i dont play guitar so i wouldnt really know.
  7. Reminds me a lot of the SG Customs. But with the Firebird shape.
  8. I don't like em. The look is alright , but I couldn't get my hands towards the upper part of the neck without hitting the back of the guitar, kinda like on an acoustic. Plus I looked goofy with one. I'll stick with Les Pauls and Telecasters
  9. Thats what I thought when I first saw it. I guess it like a series that Epiphone is doing. I think it looks cool.
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My cousin has a '72 (I think) Firebird signed by Johnny Winter.
  11. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    IMO Strats and Jacksons are the most comfortable guitars to play. Les Pauls sound great but the string spacing on Gibson guitars is akward compared to a strat. SGs sound greatand are suprisingly light but unbalanced.......neck dive.
  12. Never liked those guitars. Feels like someone TRYING to be metal but not really understanding what metal is. I would go for some version of the Les Paul in the same price range. I still think they are the best guitar design ever made. Yeah, it's a little heavy, but I like heavy guitars. Makes me remember that I'm playing.:D

Rock on
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like it. Never really played one, though. I do like explorers a lot, too/
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I've found that Epiphone's guitars tend to have rather crappy tuners, have they improved a bit by now?
  15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Very cool. I like that.
  16. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    just out of curiosity, what does one go for?
  17. Woah Nelly! I'm far from metal. I am not metal and I am not trying to be. If that was aimed at me.

its 499 on musicians friend and I'm pretty sure thats what I saw at guitar center.
  18. I've always liked the look of Firebirds, be they reversed, or non-reverse.

I'd say go for it. :)

Here are some reviews from Harmony-Central, but as always take cum grano salis. ;)

BTW, if you get a chance, check out the Tribute line by G&L.

I bought one last October, and I can't say enough good things about it.

Now if I'd just sit my butt down and play it a little more! :rollno:

Good luck with it. ;)

19. Whats that mean?
  20. Cum grano salis = With a grain of salt. (Don't believe everything you read)

Mike ;)