Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So... Im buying a new bass and need some advice...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RoyII, Aug 4, 2005.

1. RoyII

RoyII Guest

Aug 4, 2005
    Monterrey, Mex
    First... Im new so let me introduce myself a little, Ive been playing for 2 years, I play mostly rock and metal but I like some funk and jazz.

So, Im buying a new bass soon, and I would like some advice, let me tell you something, I live in México and in my city atleast there are no Lakland or Schecter, the 2 nearest stores just carry Ibanez, Fender, Yamaha and I think I saw some godins on one of them. Last week I went to both stores and checked some Ibanez and Fenders, Im considerig the Ibanez BTB strongly but I liked the Fender Jazz a lot... the reason I dont think Im buying the Jazz is that everyones Ive asked says it cant handle hard rock or metal... Anyway I plan buying one, even if not this time. So.. Are there any better basses (Peavy or Yamaha preferably 5 strings) for a 500-800 dlls. budget??

As you can see, my decision is almost taken (Ibanez BTB) I just need a little push or know if I should not buy it... thanks in advance!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Did you try the godins?

3. RoyII

RoyII Guest

Aug 4, 2005
    Monterrey, Mex
    mmm.. not really >_>;;

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I suggest you do.

5. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I love the BTB. But remember that it has wider spacing than most 5'ers. But if you have large or very limbrer fingers you'll be fine. It also has a nice, tight, focused B string.
    There's a great variety of tonal possibilities with the sweepable mid.
    The only issue might be lack of a really "dirty" sound. But if you're planning on a J at some point in the near future I'm sure it would suffice until then.

6. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Yamaha BB615

Active, 5-string, P/J pickups.

I played the passive four-string version today, and think I'm going to buy it. I really liked it.