1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm clearing out my closet

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BawanaRik, Jun 23, 2014.

1. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    in an attempt to achieve a zen event wherein my possessions have less control over me simply by my having less possessions and thus less mass.

Cranked down a couple of nuts n" screws on my Cirrus. I was planning on selling that and keeping my Warwick NT Thumb.

I just listed the Thumb.

Things don't always work out the way I plan. I guess I have to either find the knobs or buy new knobs for the Cirrus but it looks like it staying.

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Call Peavey Parts. A complete set should be $20 or less (for metal knobs). (877) 732-8391

If you want the rubber ones that came on non-Custom Shop Cirrus, send me a PM. I may have some I could give you.

maestrovert likes this.
  3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the advice. Let me dig a bit just in case.

I assume you have a Cirrus?

4. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I have a Cirrus 6 right now. I've had a Cirrus 5 and several other Peavey basses that used the same rubber knobs as the non-CS Cirrus. I upgraded every one of them to the Custom Shop (aka Millennium) preamp. Since you have to replace the mid knob with knobs for a stacked pot, I've always replaced all the knobs with the metal ones that come on the Custom Shop Cirrus. So, I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of the original rubber knobs stashed somewhere.

So, all that said, if your Cirrus uses the knobs like what I have (which means you have the "regular" Cirrus preamp), and you're willing to spend around $75, plus do a little soldering, I would really recommend to call Peavey Parts and just order a Millennium preamp and a full set of knobs and treat yourself to a nice upgrade. But, if you don't want to spend any money, I will send you some knobs - if I can find them (I have moved about 4 times - twice, across the country - since I did any of those upgrades) and if they're the kind you need.

5. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I might do that.

This Cirrus just fits well.

I realize I can spend more money on a bass but whenever I pick this one up I end up selling a "better" bass. To make it worse I have a fretless Cirrus and even though I lack anything appraching talent I like the fretless bass. Have two basses similar is better for playing fretless.

StuartV likes this.
  6. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I'm not convinced that there is a "better" bass than a Cirrus. Just basses that are fancier and basses that are different. And MANY that are definitely worse.

Sadly, I have had an epiphany recently and realized that 35" scale basses are probably just not going to work for me. I'm still letting it roll around in the back of my mind and contemplating the notion that that would suggest selling my 35" basses (my Cirrus and my Millennium).

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'm 60 and my hands aren't what they once were. The 35" should be a thing of the past.

But it's not yet.

I dunno. I found there's always a certain friction between the reality of it all and the theoreticals.

8. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Well, it seems that for guys who play Double Bass-style, using 1-2-4 fingering, 35" is totally no problem. But, I started on electric and really focused on trying to be able to play using all 4 fingers, spanning 4 frets. That is what gets me when I play a 35" scale. My hands are decent-sized, but they just don't quite stretch out wide enough to be reliable on frets 1 - 4 on a 35".