Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I'm coming to New York soon.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter Weil, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    ....and I need some advice.

1) What should I not miss from a bass point of view? I'm going to go see Roger Sadowsky's shop. Anyone else, or any other stores, that I should put a visit in to?

2) What should I not miss from a 'Noo Yawk' point of view? I've got a list of the typical things, like the Chrysler/Empire State Buildings, etc, but I'd like to hear from some true blue New Yorkers about their favourites.

3) I'm planning on staying in a B+B in the centre of town. Anyone have any faves?

Thanks all.

Pete

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Do 48th Street (b/w 6th and 7th), to at least see the Sam Ash, Manny's and Rudy's of the world. Rudy's has the best selection of upper to high end basses on that street.

NY Bass boutique is not far from there - http://bassboutique.com
    They have Celinder, Elrick , F Bass, Sadowsky etc

30th Street guitars - http://www.30thstreetguitars.com is cool.

There's a guitar center on 14th Street, b/w 5th and 6th. It's a chain, like Sam Ash.

Things to see: Ellis Island (old immigration arrival center for boats) is very interesting. Amazing to see what they went through - people got their surnames arbitrarily changed by immigration officers for example. My wifes great grandmother came over from Russia and got her name changed from Kazhden to Cohen.
    The USS Intrepid is parked in the hudson river over on the west side, that's quite interesting to look round - they have a bunch of different aircraft on the main desk.

3. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks David.

Ellis Island is definitely a must-see. I hear they're re-opened the Statue of Liberty too.

Bass content definitely noted. I'm jonesing for a sadowsky, that's for sure....

Pete

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    When are you coming? I have two shows in the city next week, one at CBGBs, you can't miss that place!

5. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yeah, I've heard about CBGB's too. I'm keen to check out music.

What's your gig? What day?

In NY 22nd-29th Sept.

Pete

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Oh man, our gig is the 21st, figures, well, we'll be at the Cutting Room on the 23rd if you're around, but that's a showcase and we're only playing a few tunes.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    fastplant, are you playing the MEANY fest too?

We're playing CB's Gallery on Saturday 9/25, 10:30pm.

http://mimiferocious.com/

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    we're doing our cd release party at CBGB on wed. november 10th (the next day is a holiday - veterans day). there's gonna be free food and a whole bunch o surprises.

if you're here then, or when fastplant's playing i highly recomment checking the place out. if you're not here either of those times i'd check it out anyway.

on september 26th (I think in the afternoon) i'm playing an outdoor gig with this guy Q-ball in Union Sq. It's supposed to be a pretty happening Virgin Megastore event. Could be fun. It's my first gig with the guy. More info here www.qballmusic.com

i didn't check your profile (should have) but if you're btwn 21 and 40 - or simply enjoy the current rock scene, take a trip to the east village around Houston and Ludlow. Luna Lounge is on Ludlow, it's free, it's always packed on the weekends, and they generally have great bands. Right around the corner is Arlene Grocery which is becoming as famous as CBs these days. Weekends are great there, monday nights they have a must see at least once in your life Punk, Metal Kareoke thing with a great band that plays it all.

If you want to check out some high end basses, and have transportation - check out Jersey Guitar and bass. It's a small place but they have stuff I don't see anywhere else in NY. Their number is 732-225-4444. They can help you with directions.

Around 42nd and 8th is Madam Toussous (sp?) wax museum. Costs about 20 bucks to get in, but I totally dug it. Bring a camera.

If you're here on Oct. 1st and feel like checking out Brooklyn, we're putting on a show in Coney Isl. I could send details if interested.

I'd check out central park. It's pretty beautiful in some places.

Ride the subways at 9 am and 5 pm to see what many of us do every day. :)

if you're traveling as a couple and have money to throw a way take a horse and buggy ride around central park. I believe you find them around 5th ave and 49th st??? People in the area can tell ya where.

if you like burritos you MUST go to benny's burritos. there's one on ave. A and 6th street, and one on greenwich and 13th.

couple of tourist warnings: Water doesn't cost $2 or $3 a bottle. If you're on the street and want something drop into a CVS or other chain drugstore. Don't buy anything around Broadway and 42 - 49th. Chances are they're looking for you. If a price sounds absurd for something, it is. The east and west village are better for shopping than mid and uptown. Don't think I've ever seen any tourist traps in the village. NYers are really friendly people - cuz they were all born and raised in the midwest.

9. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    No, I think you're thinking of the hardcore band Side Show, the SideShow in my sig is no more, they were a cover band out of CT. Our new project is www.gradym.com

10. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've just emailed Sadowsky to see if they have any PJ basses instock but they may or may not at the time of my visit. Anyone seen one recently in NY?

Thanks for the tips guys. Keep em comin!

Pete

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you're there on a Thursday, I would check out the Fez and see the Mingus Big Band.