Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I'm getting a Marcus Miller Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Vintage White

63 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. Shoreline Gold

30 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Black

58 vote(s)
    24.7%
  4. 3 Tone Sunburst

84 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm planning on settling on a Marcus Miller Signature Jazz, and will be putting money down on it next week. I haven't committed to any specific finish yet, though. It's hard for me to decide. Since I have a Natural/Maple Skyline Bob Glaub, I think Aged Natural is out of the question, plus its just too plain for me. It is available in Vintage White, Shoreline Gold, Black, and 3 Tone Sunburst. So which finish do you like best? I'm just looking for input, since I am undecided at this point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. For that particular bass with the black pickguard and maple fingerboard, the black finish definitely looks best to me. Love the contrast of light and dark.

3. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    The black looks best to me, with the white taking second place

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've always been a huge vintage white fan, and that's how I vote!

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The more I look at the Vintage White, the more I think I don't like it. I've just never been too big of a fan of yellowed white. If it were Olympic White, I think I'd be more into it.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I think the vintage white looks ace!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    black

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i'm digggin' the vintage white and shoreline gold, which seems more silvery to me. i'm not big on the huge pickguard/control cover thing- i dig the old style jazz plates, but oh well....

9. I dig the sunburst. Very vool with the black guard and maple neck.

10. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Sunburst! Is there any other color?

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The sunburst would be terrific with a different pickguard (not because of the color but the shape). Just because of that I give my vote to the shoreline gold, which is the overall best looking bass to me judging by the pictures.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I voted sunburst, but I'm sure that bass will make happy whatever you get!

13. Sunburst for the win!

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I particularly enjoy the olympic white, but I'd personally go for the black because you can't get it on the four string.

15. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i like black, and then sunburst.

16. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    Natural ash finish

17. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I voted for black, because that's the finish I've been "almost" gassing for for awhile now.

In my case, I just have never liked those "overly-aged" block markers (too yellow)... and I also wondered about getting an aftermarket black body with a rear-routed control cavity so that a regular Jazz-style control plate could reside on the front.

18. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    sunburst - if you are spending that much money, be able to see the wood, k? :meh:

19. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Personally I prefer the natural finish on this particular axe. As a matter of fact, I waited for eight months before I finally saw one on Musician's Friend, and when I did, I bought it. Trouble was, I had to return it! Nothing wrong with the bass at all... I just could not find a tone that I could honestly be happy with, and please believe me... I was heartbroken! I still think this is one of the most beautiful basses Fender (with the help of the Marcus Man, himself) has produced. I love the block pearl inlays, the white binding, and even the massive black pick guard! I just was not satisfied with the sound from this bass... simple as that.

However... enough of my personal experience with the Marcus Miller-5... this is about you and your request. Therefore, I voted SUNBURST, 'cuz I almost, and I mean damn near... bought a sunburst from Musician's Friend, but I held out for the natural... I really wanted that bass to work for me... :(

20. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Vintage white for me as well. I had a natural and its a great bass.