Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, I'm going skydiving tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Oh yeah, can't wait. Should be awesome.

This will be my first jump - I'm more afraid about getting motion sickness on the airplane ride up more than anything else!

Anyone else ever skydived before? Any interesting stories?

And oh yeah, I'm getting this recorded too. Hopefully I can upload it on the internet once it's done.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I did my first jump a month ago!

Highly recommend it!

No interesting story, it was just great fun, the plane went up to 13.000 feet and I wasn´t nervous at all, until the jumper before me jumped out. I suddenly got this feeling in my knees and thought to myself: What the hell am I thinking...

That didn´t last long because before I knew I was out of the door watching the ground approach me at over 120mph. It was awesome! Free fall for 60 seconds! I hade a video taken of me by the instructor....I´m still waiting for it. Damn those US to Iceland postal times :(

My instructor teased me a bit though, since it was my first jump, I was in tandem...anyway, after the parachute had deployed and we were slowly gliding... he just said... Hang on! and then he pulled on of the cords hard and we did lot´s of sharp, fast circles. I was nearly horizontal and I just saw the ground spinning beneath me..damn, I had to close my eyes there :)

It´s funfunfun!

The instructional video we watched was pretty funny, it was from 1988 or something like that, and 60 year old man with a mullet that would put JT to shame was giving safety instructions.

Good luck man and enjoy it!

P.s. I´m considering Paragliding as my next adrenalin fix!

3. I did a bunch of static line jumps in the Army. Entirely different gig. Man, it must be cool getting hang time from 13K!

The "scariest" parts about it is waiting the four seconds for your chute to open and then the last 50 feet before you land.

Then again, you're going to be using "big kids" chutes. ;)

4. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    My mom went skydiving....

While she was pregnant with me, first trimester. She didn't know yet, and it was her first free fall.

Does that count?

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i did a static line in chicago a few years ago. luckily i paid attention during the videos and lectures beforehand, because my chute twisted as it deployed.

have fun, but pay attention also. oh! and listen to Dirt Torpedo by Megadeth during your drive there. :bag:

6. I did a tandem jump once. I would still do it if I had the money! It was the biggest rush I have ever had and I'll jump off of 20 foot drops snowboarding. You'll have a blast!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I got dibs on your gear if you die. :D

-Mike

8. Blood Upon the Risers
    Sung to the tune of The Battle Hymn of the Republic

He was just a cherry trooper and he surely shook with fright
    as he checked all his equipment and made sure his pack was tight
    He had to sit and listen to the awful engines roar,
    And he ain't gonna jump no more.

CHORUS:
    Gory, Gory, What a hellova way to die
    He ain’t gonna jump no more.

“Is everybody happy?” cried the Sergeant, looking up.
    Our hero feebly answered “yes,” and then they stood him up.
    He leaped right out into the blast, his static line unhooked.

CHORUS:

He counted long, he counted loud, he waited for the shock;
    He felt the wind, he felt the clouds, he felt the awful drop;
    He jerked his cord, the silk spilled out and wrapped around his legs.

CHORUS:

The risers wrapped around his neck, connectors cracked his dome;
    Suspension lines were snarled and tied in knots, around his skinny bones;
    The canopy became his shroud, he hurtled to the ground.

CHORUS:

The days he’d lived and loved and laughed kept running through his mind;
    He thought about the girl back home, the one he’d left behind;
    He thought about the medics and wondered what they’ed find.
    He ain’t gonna jump no more.

CHORUS:

The ambulance was on the spot, the jeeps were running wild;
    The medics jumped and screamed with glee, they rolled their sleeves and smiled;
    For it had been a week or more since last a chute had failed.

CHORUS:

He hit the ground, the sound was splat, his blood went spurting high;
    His comrades were then heard to say, “What a hellova way to die”;
    He lay there rolling ‘round in the welter of his gore.

CHORUS:

There was blood upon the risers, there was brains upon his chute,
    Intestines were a-danglin' from his Paratrooper's suit.
    They poured him from his helmet and poured him from his boots.

CHORUS:

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I did a BUNCH of it when I was young and bullet proof. It's just about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.

I do however think, that if you are being dragged out of an airplane firmly lashed to a jumpmaster....you really ain't skydiving.

Sky diving starts when you're hanging onto a wing strut all by yourself and when some yells JUMP!...you let go all by yourself. And THATS the big one.

I took a girlfriend once..this predated all the tie yourself to a jumpmaster stuff...she got scared..they had to shake her off the wing. On a 6,000' static line jump, it's more dangerous to try to bring someone back into the plane than it is to just shake the wing and watch 'em fall.

10. We must hook up!

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    A TB snowboarding trip! Basses and boards.....

-Mike

12. You know where I live.
    If you like to huck air, Squaw is awesome!

13. I did accelerated free fall down in yuma az when i was in the marines. I should've done tandem or static first, but i'm stupid, what can I say. Anyways, scared the living bejeezus outta me, i'm not afraid of heights by any means, but when i jumped out at 12,500, i paniced. Locked my legs and put my hands straight out, in the air, that makes an L, and i flipped over on my back. Thank god the two instructors weren't doofi and got me re positioned. The only thing i remember is jumping out, then the instructor pushing his fingers in my face , prompting me to remember to pull the cord, which I did at 4500. The ride from there was great, but that first 40 seconds or so was scarier than hades. MY roommate kept going back after that and got certified, I will never jump out of an airplane again unless it's going to crash, or I'm doing a military style static line. Anyways, good luck and have fun.

14. You know... I need to get out there sometime soon as I have not been outside of Colorado. I'll be in luthier school this upcoming winter though...

Maybe I can pull something off. ;)

15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'd love to go skydiving. Someone take me.

16. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    It was the most fun I ever had with my clothes on. My Dad was a jumpmaster for awhile and was tight with most of the Golden Knights at Bragg. I was lucky enough to make some jumps with them. Those guys are the best of the best no question. Had a blast.

Mike

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Can't remember anything from my first jump (a static line) between the time I left go of the wing and the chute deployed, only a massive falling sensation. It's called "sensory overload", your senses are pumping so much unusual information into your brains that you don't have time for visual images!

Remember, relax, you are going downward anyways so might as well do it properly. Trust your instructors!

The second and third jumps are the worst - you've already got a taste what to expect! :D

18. Wow, good luck, as they say in show biz, Break a leg!!!

No wait...

Randy

19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I had a blast doing this a couple of years ago. The ride up was kinda scary, I had never been in a plane that small before that moved up and down in air currents and all that. They opened the door, which just kinda makes you panic a little, cause how often do they open a door on a plane in flight, ya know?

They made me hang out of the plane, with my feet on a little rail, and wanting to hang on with my hands, which they pulled down and made me cross my chest with and lean out. That was kinda freaky. Your strapped to some guys stomach, feet on a little perch, and your head hanging out the door with no hands, watching the friends who jumped before you falling lol.

Once out the door (you do a little flip before you right yourself and get totally disoriented for a second), and then its just the most incredible thing in the world. The freefall was awesome, the chute opening is jarring and sudden. The chute ride was longer than the freefall, even at 13K feet, cause we had a 5k hard deck. The camera people on the other hand had a 2k hard deck, and when your chute opens they fly past you and look like they arent going to make it lol.

Before we neared the ground, my instructor gave me the controls, told me about flaring and all that jazz. He said ok, now your going to want to flare a long time before you should. If you do it when you want too, we'll end up way out in that field someplace. If you do it when I tell you too, we'll land right in the middle of the target and impress everyone hehe. Boy was he right. I wanted to flare a LONG time before he told me too, we were probably 25ft off the ground when he finally told me to do it and we coasted nice and easy into the middle of the target and touched down without even a stuble.

One side note, I went with 3 friends. Their instructors were all asking them to sign their log books for recording the jumps. I turned to my instructor when I noticed this and asked if he wanted me to sign his log book. He laughed and said he didnt have a log book anymore. He said those are for certifications, and after 3000 jumps or so, there arent any more certs to get. This guy was a military jumper and taught on the weekends now that he was retired from service in order to jump for free :)