Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I'm going to my first high school dance ever.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Feb 19, 2005.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Yep, you read right. Its my senior year and I've decided to go to as many dances as I can this last year, and this ones my first. So, I beckon to you gods of rhythm for some things I should know about. Help me be the coolest guy out there!

:help:

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland

The best help I can give is to bow out now...

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Admit it, I had you at "gods of rhythm".

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The guy in the white tux is always a loser.

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You said everyone was doing that... :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. and I wouldn't be suprised if you change your mind after this one.

At my school, dances consist of nothing but rap played really loud, and all the popular kids doing everything short of having sex in the middle of the dance floor. Do yourself a favor and just have your girlfriend over for dinner and a movie.

7. Where's the shot of Mike Money in his prom suit?

8. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I found that I was a better dancer before I started playing bass. My bass playing skills went up while my dancing "skills" went down.

9. Get a little tipsy beforehand. It really really works for me. I can't dance well at all when I'm sober, but the right ammount of social lubricant makes me a MUCH better dancer. (Please don't think about this if you plan on driving to the dance, however)

And words from the wise from Toasted about the white tux... there's someone at every dance who thinks that it's cool.

10. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Sorry, I hate to stoop this low but the aforementioned guy is a idiot. Getting drunk and going to school is never good advice even if was illegal. If you are looking to have some fun just act like you normally would and possibly dress like a pirate.

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    +10000!

Totally true, although I guess I'm a hypocrite because I have gone to MANY a rave...

"kids doing everything short of having sex in the middle of the dance floor"

And that's why I love rave's...

"Hi, I dont know you, Wanna screw?"

J/K, I dont screw on the first hour :eek:

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

Whoa dude! Thats really bad advice! I mean, I know I've gotten Drunk PLENTY of time's and I'm only 19... But I would never advise anyone ELSE to do that...

FYI: I drive like a maniac, but when someone is in MY car WITH me, I drive SLOW...

13. Yup, couldn't have said it better myself... I'm a sophmore, and they are lame @$$ dances... unless it's a special dance like winter formal or... something like that. But yes, only go if you are able to put up with the ****tiest rap ever produced, and if you can stand like 100+ people "dancing" around you, vigorously making out...

I've taken my girlfriend to two of them, and I don't plan on taking her to any more of them... next time a dance is put on at my high school, me and my girl are going out for a nice dinner...

... anyone who says high school dances are loads of fun... they are either:
    1. full of ****
    2. drunk
    3. ... well, then they've never had any real fun
    4. can't afford to get a hotel room

:rollno:

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    please not again

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Not sure if you're in the school band or not. The 1 dance i've been to [i too am a senior] i went the cheap way. Wore my band issue tux & just talked to people. The Fun part? Well, at my school the band kids are a bit "different" from the rest of the student body in that-we all more or less stick together and if we aren't having fun, we find ways to. Example: They where playing rap/hip hop music most of the time-most of us dislike that music strongly. So while the popular kids where doing their kind of dancing....we started a mosh pit. :D The best words of wisdom that i can give you are to have fun even if it means looking like an idiot. :bassist:

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sure do.

[​IMG]

17. I've gone to two or three and while the dances themselves are usually ridiculous the afterparties were usually fun. The main motivation for me was that I could impress my date(most girls like a guy in a suit, it seems) and then get some action during the afterparty. Yes, I'm shallow like that.

18. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    It wasn't at all bad. My only quarrel is the fact that it was impossible to dance, everyone was right, its all just a sex-fest out there. My hours of practice-dancing to Rappers Delight went to waste! Needless to say, I was a hit with all the ladies last night. :smug:

19. Yeah my senior prom will be full of rap music and crap, but I'm going with a girl who I absoulutly adore, so it's going to rule. IMO it's her night, not mine.

Just move 'dem hips and go with the flow. (Or break a leg, literally)

20. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    The senior song for my school this year is Freebird and the motto is "Git 'r dun"

****. I hate the country.