Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I'm going to take the road test on Friday...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Since my brithday is tomorrow I can't take it then because all the DMVs are closed, so I am going to take it friday so I can (hopefully) get my license...

any tips/advice?

2. Tip: Don't screw up.

Anyways dude, if my BROTHER can pass it, you can ;) I mean cmon, Soto can even back me up on this one!

3. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yeah, i am pretty confident in everything except parallel parking

4. They didn't even test my brother on that...Soto had to teach him when he couldn't figure it out when we all went to Woodstocks for pizza after a wrestling match.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Just be smart... and don't try to hard.

6. Yeah, just be relaxed and do what you have been doing for 6 months...drive

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It isn't as hard as it is made out to be. My only point of advice:

LOOK EVERY WHICH WAY WHENEVER YOU STOP! Don't use peripheral vision, no matter how good your's is. If you have to look in a direction, turn your head, don't think the tester will assume you used peripheral vision. Make it feel rediculous. If you feel dumb turning your head each way three times, that's good, thats what they want.

Just use common sense. It ain't no thang.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    1) Keep both hands on the wheel while driving.

2) They will prolly have you park on a hill. Make sure you are familiar with which way to point your wheels depending on what side of the road you are parking on.

3) Relax....you won't die if you fail.

-Mike

9. I just got my temp yesterday few days ago, so I'll be doing the road test in a year. Good luck, I know I'm gonna be nervous.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I only just got my license like 4 months ago, and it was laughably easy.

I messed up three times, but they were very minor things, and you are allowed quite a few minor mess ups.

As far as tips, take some deep breaths before you start, to calm down a little bit and focus, also, make sure to be looking around a lot...they like that :D

it's really easy, and unless you get a pissed off person with clipboard, or hit a child or something, you'll be fine.

guud lock

edit: I don't know what the jersey driver test is like, the california one is cake though, like, I think california is known for it's ridiculously easy driving test.

seriously, all I did was drive down the block to a residential area, parked, then drove back to the DMV, it took about 4 minutes.

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah man, that's awsome and really really really really really sad at the same time. it's sad because he went through 6 months of his permit, and has had his license for like a month, AND COULDN'T PARALLEL PARK! he learned in less than a minute though.

12. I figure that driving is a lot like wrestling. You practice and practice (permit) and then the day comes when you got a match and your scared outta ur mind and then u do it and its all good :D Good luck

13. dont wreck :rolleyes:

oh yeah, i remember the only thing i messed up on; not stopping at a railroad, even where there isn't a stop sign. apparently cars in my state are supposed to stop at all railroads and treat them all like they have a stop sign. lets just say that law gets broken a lot :rolleyes:

im sure you'll do fine clay(t). good luck :)

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why didn't you get it when you turned 16? Or do you have to be 17 over there??

15. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    16- permit
    17- provisional license
    18- basic license

16. whats up with that? Down here it's

15 - permit, motorcycle license, hardship license (which allows all that basic allows, but must get a request for that)
    16 - basic license

17. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yeah, NJ is not normal... it's all good though, i passed

18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Congrats man! I remember the day I got my liscense, twas a good day.