Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

...So I'm going to try some nickels...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Minger, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    After realizing that I really didnt like the sound of Stainless Steel strings, I'm going to give nickels a shot, and I'm pretty sure that nickels came on my SX, which I liked. The Stainless were just overwelmingly bright for me...

so I've gotta ask, what do you guys suggest? I play a SX Jazz and would like cheap strings...maybe D'aAddarios, because on MF they have this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/100158/

And well, they're the same as the other twin pack fo rhte same price, and I figure, I could always go BEAD if I wanted to...

That or I may give Ernie Ball Hybrids a shot...

But what do you guys recommend?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I keep experimenting with different strings but (so far) keep coming back to D'addario nickels. I'm running .050-.105s on my P and swapping those and .045-.100s on my Jazzes.

A buddy uses EB Hybrid Slinkies on his Jazzes and they sound very good. I may try them myself.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, they're dirt cheap and I may just try both out...I just ogt some money today, so both can come into consideration.

How long do they last? And sorry if I could do a search on this, but how often do they break if anyone here knows?

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Personally, I've never broken a string; I play finger style only. With proper care, I've had D'addarios last for months.

5. BottomFeeder86

BottomFeeder86

Oct 18, 2004
    I don't like stainless steel strings as much as nickel, because to me, for some reason steel strings every time i get them, they feel too "tight" to play comfortably. I bought some DR High Beams, and found the same thing (they're steel too) They sound nice, but too tight. So, i found a website that sells cheap, and really great strings. I bought the Nickel roundwounds for my warwick, and love them, they're nice and bright, and have been pretty bright since about a month ago.

I always keep my hands horribly grease/dirt/oil free when i play, but they seem to last long. The site claims they're made by a big manufacturer, just without the fancy labelling and packaging. I highly recommend them! :D

http://www.WebStrings.com is the site i believe, they have steel, nickel, and flatwounds. Shipping is free if you buy enough too!

6. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas

Is this the first time you've used them? The prices are crazy cheap. What brand do they feel similar to? Tell me, Tell me!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Why don't you check the Bassplayer Mag review. If you know of something lacking in your tone, the review might point you in the right direction for a set of nickels. I bought 5 sets of Sadowsky nickels and I am very happy with them. After having them on my jazz for awhile I went back to DR Lorider nickel just to see how they compared. I much prefer the Sadowsky...they seem to have more midrange presence which helps in my situation with being heard in the mix.

8. BottomFeeder86

BottomFeeder86

Oct 18, 2004
    I just ordered another two sets of the Nickel roundwounds, and got them today and put them on to replace my still pretty new sounding DR Highbeams. I was always thinking of recording something before, and after to compare new steel strings to nickel and i did, and the results were kinda cool. The steels are just a bit brighter, but they still felt too "tight" to me.

Total, i have bought 4 sets of strings from the Webstrings place, and they all sound great. I guess they compare to any general roundwound nickel string, to me, the steel ones i've had on my warwick, sounded almost exactly the same as DR High Beams.

Tell me if you're interested in hearing the small recording thing i did. It's really sloppy and just consists of random playing. :ninja: But yeah, try out the Webstring strings! I hate shelling out 25 bucks, for one sets of string at a time, and with these strings, they sound exactly like any other comparable roundwound string, just a little less fancy packaging, and extremely affordable!

9. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas
    I like Mediun light Blue Steel on my Toby, but they are soo dang expensive. from 35 bucks on up and there is one place were they are in the 60's - SHEESH! :bawl: :bawl: :crying: :rollno:

I don't know what I like best on the Roscoe yet - I've only had it about 3 months and everything still sounds good :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Yea- Lets hear the recording

10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Chicks dig nickel. But they only last a week. Coincidence?

11. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I like the DR Sunbeams.

12. BottomFeeder86

BottomFeeder86

Oct 18, 2004
    I tried to upload the two zipped files, and it didnt work. The upload screen just stops. I dunno how else to send it? I converted them to a smaller file size mp3, but still nothing....? :bawl:

in case i do get it to work, this is what i was going to say, i just dont feel like typing it all over again if indeed i do get it to work...

Alritey, here's the small recordings. Please keep in mind, im pretty crappy, its 1:30am, and its extremely sloppy. The DR Strings are DR HighBeams (Stainless Steel) and the Webstrings are the Nickel strings. Both are Medium gauge. The DRs have been on my new Stingray 4 for under a week, and the Webstrings were played directly after they were put on and tuned.

From my expierence with other nickel/steel strings, Steel is initially brighter, but nickel keeps its brightness longer than steel. And my biggest thing is that i like nickel more because its not as "tight" feeling as steel, much easier and more comfortable to play i think.

Remember!! just compare the sounds of the strings, not my crap playing. :rollno:

13. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    I only play nickels when it comes to rounds. I absolutely hate steel strings. They're abrasive to the fingers, tight, and too bright --- compared to nickels.

I am using LaBella Slappers 40-60-80-100 (on a 4-string) and I couldn't be happier.

Only steels I can tolerate are flats on a fretless.

14. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    If you contact me on AIM (my sn is Donteatthecream) I can upload them on my server and put the files here.

But Nickels' brightness last longer than steels? So then its pretty much left to feel?

Now I feel kinda dumb because I thought the Stainless ones were brighter...o well

15. BottomFeeder86

BottomFeeder86

Oct 18, 2004
    no, in my experience, i've found that steel strings, are initially brighter than nickel when you first put them on, but lost the new string sound faster than nickels do. I'll try to IM you on AIM too, my name is IHave5strings.

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY