Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I'm gonna get a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan T., Sep 7, 2005.

1. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    it's a toss up between an American Fender P-Bass or an American Fender Jazz....

I already have an Ernie Ball Stingray that I like quite a bit but grow weary of how hot of a signal it puts out and how damn humongous the neck is. That's why I'm thinking maybe not the P but I heard a Japanese one played on my rig that sounded like pure gold. And I also have a Mexican made Jazz that I threw a badass bridge on and some EMG's in, but alas it still sounds like crap to my ears, so that makes me wary of the American Jazz.

Anyone got any suggestions.... being a lefty sucks you never get to try anything out before you buy it, always has to be special ordered in...

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If you hate the neck, go with the jazz bass, you aren't going to get a smallerneck with the P.

3. I would've probably suggested the Fender American Deluxe P, since it has the P pickup, and the jazz neck and bridge pickup, but it appears that all of them have active electronics, which goes right back to the hot signal issues you were having with your Stingray.

*SIGH* Why must every manufacture continually slap a preamp into all of their products?

4. These are totally different basses. the mexican basses are made in Mecico with inferior workmanship and poor electronics. the parts do not always fit properly and they have a reputation for not sounding good because of the garbage pickups and pots. The american basses on the other hand Hvae a reputation for being well made and sounding good. Sure there are going to be some bad ones here and there but the majority of them are very well made and sound great. But as always YMMV. and try before you buy :bassist:

5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Umm... have you tried them both? Give them both a go at a shop and make your own mind up! I did the same... but I had my heart set on a Jazz... I ended up getting the American Deluxe Jazz, and damn am I happy... lovely neck, great warm tone and generally lovely all round! Great to slap too ;)

6. Gerroff... Mexican basses? - I must have been lucky with mine, best bass I've got (very hot/bassy STOCK PICKUPS - been asked by many sound engineers if its passive or active - they couldn't believe me when I told them it was passive) : IMO they're just as good as a MIJ bass (or better) and from what I've heard there isn't much difference in quality between a MIJ and an american...(correct me if I'm wrong) :D