1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm in the studio yesterday......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by M@ddest_H@tter!, Mar 29, 2009.

1. My band and I are in the studio this weekend. When we get there, I see a shabby rundown looking barn. So I think to myself....man this can't be be good. Well I was wrong....dead wrong. When I open the door to the barn....I turn to my immediate left and see drum heads and other memorabilia lining the walls. The first thing I notice is a drumhead signed by B.B. King...so I crap in my pants....thinking wow. I also notice he has drum heads signed by Merle Haggard, Rusted Root, Goo Goo Dolls, and numerous other bands. So I ask Butch..the guy recording us, and he tells me he has been in the sound business for almost 50 yrs. He's done sound for the Trans Siberian Orchestra 4-5 times...and he has a shirt signed by Lauretta Swit...aka Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan from M.A.S.H....I felt like I was living in History. Then he pulls out a Yamaha bass from the the late 80's..it was gorgeous. Needles to say this guys knows his stuff....it is such an honor to be recorded by a guy who has done sound for so many famous people, and to find him in such a small town like Sumter, SC no less.
    I will post pics when i get time to re-size them...probably after we finish the final mix today

2. Who cares about resize? I want to see it like I'm there!!!

3. I have to resize it aso I can post it

4. Just upload them to photobucket and link from there? That'll resize itself

5. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    Butch Vig????

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    I dont think so, i mean not knowing whos butch vig... or not even mention him when youre talking about him...

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    whoa, cool story!

8. that might be him....he's been around for while...real cool dude

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    IMG_1561.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    IMG_1551.

11. whoa....how'd you get that?

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    There you go.

13. That's Sally Kellerman though, she played Margaret Houlihan in the MASH movie. That's even better. :D

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    So did you guys sign anything and leave it behind to add to the wall of fame?

-Mike

15. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I think a number of people who have studios actually want them to look inconspicuous on the outside. It's easier to weed people out that way and also a way to have fewer interruptions.

16. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    ^Plus, I'm betting that the more comfortable you are in a comfy and down to earth setting, the better you make the music.

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    That isn't Butch Vig.

Any chance you can get pics of the control room and a wide shot of the live room?

18. Reminds me of the time I recorded at Kingsnake Studios (Kingsnake Records was a big blues label back in the 80's & 90's, dunno if they're still around though...) in FL....the directions were a riot!

"...walk past the chicken coop, and the door is on the left, under the basketball hoop..."

:eek:

...great room though! The B3 they had was spread all over like 4-5 tables, but sounded AMAZING, and they had this old Ludwig drumset in a drum room that looked like it was falling apart, but went on tape like cannons.

:)