1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm Joining A Country Band...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jcerio, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    My musical journey continues. As my band of 18 years winds down, I found a modern country band to join. Although I enjoy country music, I've always typically played in rock and horn bands. This should be an interesting time! Any other country players here have any song suggestions I can bring to the group? We're 4-piece, male fronted. I'd like to be able to add some more "Rockin' Country" and some "double-entendre" song selections to their list. In my experience that stuff is what keeps a crowd coming back. Keep 'em laughing and keep 'em dancing. I'm going to suggest "Some Beach" by Dierks Bentley and "Ticks" by Brad Paisley.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  2. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Yep. A lot of these popping up in the NE. IMO and limited experience it’s a hard niche to fill. Rock listeners don’t really like rock based country. And country listeners want to line dance, which doesn’t suit a lot of the rock based country. But maybe you’ll have better luck than I’ve had. Good luck. It’s fun music regardless how many gigs you play.

3. "Modern Country" is pretty much rap or top 40 style pop nowadays...

4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    The current state of "modern country" could probably be seen here: The latest CMA awards. Lot's of people criticize modern country, but IMHO, it's the folks that frequent the clubs that should be pleased, and they're really liking most of what's on that list. So, take a look, and pick the ones you like and go play em. I've been doing these gigs for years and I usually have a great time. Whatever flavor of C & W I'm playing!

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Jason Aldean always works. We just added Heart with Four Wheel Drive by the Roadhammers. You can always mix in good southern blues like Allman Brothers (great fun for everyone to play).

Chicks dancing in short skirts. Life is good.

JimK likes this.
  6. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations! I had a gig like that about a year ago. As far as suggestions, yeah I could probably give you the whole songlist. However...

I'm guessing you are the oldest guy there. You're new to the band. I'd be in no hurry to offer song ideas unsolicited. At minimum, you'll set yourself up for personal disappointment. At worse, they'll view it as you trying to change the band. Swim around in the water for a while first.

Yes, drunk country chicks dancing to your music is the best. Enjoy.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have been playing nu country for the last few years. No matter where we play there are people who really dig it. I also played classic country some years ago which is my love country wise. We sprinkle a few old gems in there still like Waylon, Johnny Cash and so on. There has been a refreshing resurgence with country music in my area and nu country is getting us booked.
    Today we play both male and female country and the two vocals and styles really keep them dancing. From Maranda to Aldean and Carrie to Stapleton we have the crowds dancing. It’s not the most most technical music but who cares, it’s a blast to play and folks dig it.

Spidey2112 and Jimmy4string like this.
  8. Syracuse NY?? Well if you were in Texas you could be playin anywhere -how is the scene there?
    I always like Dwight Yoakum and maybe "The more i drink"
    Personally i love Buck Owens but kids these days...they may not dig it...
    alot older.png

jcerio likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just remember, the purpose of a country band us no different from a rock or horn band (I've spent a lot if time in all three).

Keep 'em in the floor. Don't worry about making them laugh. Worry about getting them off their butts.

Also, line dance songs work every time. Every. Single. Time.

Plus @BassCliff may be able to help.

IamGroot, pcake, Ekulati and 2 others like this.
  10. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    As for songs look at whats been hot in the last couple years like 5150, buy me a boat, ah naw, smoke, drink in my hand and so on. Since your male vocals only just stick to the hits then ad some old ditties like neon moon, workin man blues ,Folsom and so forth. Country is fun, upbeat and gets them moving when done right.

11. Weren't you anti-covers not so very long ago? Welcome to the dark side :)

JGbassman likes this.
  12. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    No Never anti cover since it’s where I started but my heart is still with original music. I had a post here a while back explaining after 8 years I was moving back to covers only. I was in a couple short lived originals projects along the way.
    I’m 56 and just need to justify my time away by getting paid plus I’m tired of playing other people’s music who often make all the decisions in a band.
    Seeing the ladies dancing and shakin it to all those cover songs doesn’t hurt either :smug:

Spidey2112, Jimmy4string and pwhalen like this.
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Syracuse is 90 miles east down the Thruway from me, and if it's anything like Rochester, the scene is pretty inviting to Modern Country. I spent a year in a female fronted Modern Country band and we did very well at all the shows we played.

jcerio, Spidey2112 and Jimmy4string like this.
  14. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I played in a country band for a couple years. Much wilder crowds and younger, even playing older country. I enjoyed it though. The endless combination of the I-IV-V chords.

Save a Horse
    Chicken Fried
    Friends in Low Places

Those tend to pack the dance floor and people sing along

bassbully and DirtDog like this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    What it's all about...

16. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Central NY is really responsive to country music. I can't wait to get out there and gig!

DirtDog likes this.
  17. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The ladies love a country band :thumbsup:

18. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    It can be a surprise what they will line dance to. We had a line form instantly for ZZ Top's Just Got Paid. o_O
    Some of the modern basslines are fun (All My Friends Say) and some old ones too (Fast As You).

19. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    I really like Chris Young's voice - Aw Naw is a good honky tonk kinda song.
    Chris Stapleton - can't go wrong there.
    Dierks Bentley - you can also do What was I thinkin'
    Luke Bryan - Country girl shake it for me.

I've been playing modern country for a while - Its getting more and more popular, and there are lots of guitars and guitar solos. Have fun with it - its not a long walk over from rock n roll.

20. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Congrats on the new band!
    My country outfit leans more towards older stuff, so I'm not much good for song suggestions. I highly recommend keeping your ear to the ground at gigs and hearing what folks ask for. Country fans will tell you what they want to hear and if you take their suggestions it won't be long before you've got a couple sets of music that the audience will be nuts for.

What I can say affirmatively is that of all the bands I've been, it's the country ones that get the most paid gigs, the most tips and the most interest from the fans. Not sure what it is, but country fans just seem more appreciative. They listen, they dance and they pay. What more can you ask for?

bassbully likes this.